Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Article about: Good stuff Nick. No liner sorry. chris

Default Re: Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell

Hi Nick,

The head stamp number is following with a letter "A, B, C" .
    Do you know the signification of it ?
    In the book "M1 Helmet", (French autors) its writing that M2 helmets have their head stamp number marking between 100 & 300; & they were only manufactured in 1942 (march to september) what is your opinion ?
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    Carfin.

?

as far as im aware the letters in heat stamp numbers have no meaning atleast not that im aware of as for the manufacture of M-2 helmets i don't really know allot about these only how to spot a fake one.

Hi,

Could I please ask what your measurements for both the helmets are from bail to bail across the top?.

Cheers
    Luther

?

sorry cant give you the measurement in that way as i don't have a flexible enough tape measure hopefully someone else will be able to provide this info ?

gillkid
    ?

I just bought a helmet today and I can't seem to find much info on the exact type of helmet that it is. The guy I bought it from said he wore it during the Vietnam era, but it seems its from the WWII era. It looks very similar to the one on the right on the above post. There are no markings on the outer shell. There are markings on the inner shell.
    Liner, Helmet
    Ground Troops
    Type I
    NSN 8470-00-935-6843
    DLA-100-83-C-4252
    The headband has some markings too. I will supply them if they are necessary.

I would also like to know the value of it and where I could sell something like this. I would prefer to sell it to somebody that would appreciate its historical significance. By the way, this is American. I'm sure that you guys know that already though.

?

welcome to the forum

first up the DLA number you've provided tells me the liner at least is dated 83 but to asses the whole helmet you would need to provide pictures ?

?

Default Re: Rough guide to the US M-2 D loop airborne helmet

here's some pictures of some known original rare M-2 D loop helmets these were designed for the airborne units to enable better adjustment to the main chin strap as well as better comfort but as they found out when in use these types of chin strap loops were prone to braking from either the helmet being dropped or used to sit on so only a few were made before they abandoned this type of chin strap loop.

these pictures have been borrowed from this web site Original C loops - U.S. Militaria Forum please visit here form more info thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell   Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell  

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell   Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell  

Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell   Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell  

Attached Images Attached Images Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell 
    Last edited by NickD; 04-14-2012 at 03:18 PM.

I have a M1 helmet with a heat stamp 602 but no letter is it ww2 or post-ww2.
    chris

simple answer chris,if its not front seamed then its postwar made between 68-76,all the best dave.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    simple answer chris,if its not front seamed then its postwar made between 68-76,all the best dave.
    Dave, this may not be so as rear seams were produced late war.

Russ

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast