Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sad To See M1

Article about: These two items have just appeared on eBay, from the same seller. He has obviously split the set to earn a few extra dollars. One is listed directly above the other. Liner is an Inland, not

?

Default Sad To See M1

These two items have just appeared on eBay, from the same seller. He has obviously split the set to earn a few extra dollars. One is listed directly above the other. Liner is an Inland, not a Hawley.

Sad indeed.

WWII US FIXED BALE HELMET - COLLECTION QUALITY | eBay

WWII US 2nd PATTERN HAWLEY LINER - EXCELLENT QUALITY | eBay

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sad To See M1   Sad To See M1  

Sad To See M1   Sad To See M1  

Last edited by aj4010; 06-12-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Default Re: Sad To See M1

I'd have thought a complete helmet would fetch more

?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I'd have thought a complete helmet would fetch more
    Strangely, not usually in my experience, especially with the rarer liners. Instead of having a very desirable item for sale, the seller now has two desirable items. These people are almost always "dealers" who have no interest in keeping the set together for the sake of history. That is assuming of course that the items in question are an original set of course, but judging by the condition of both, they do seem to be.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

It's a shame....a collector would have to win both auctions to get this helmet complete again, so from that point of view I can see how he may make more money on it....it'd be like having a perfectly good germanbhelmet and steeling it bit by bit....makes no sense

?

He also thinks he has a Hawley liner, which he does not. Hawley liners command a high price indeed, so that may be one of the reasons he split the set.
    Yes, I am hoping for a collector with deep pockets and a sense of decency to buy both, however unlikely.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

That is a shame to see them separated Andy.
    Such a nice clean set.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

sad to say its nothing new but im surprised the seller didn't go further by taking out the liner sweatband & nape strap to sell separately as these on their own fetch fair bit !

This certainly is sad to see, but this is what the desire for money can do to a human.

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    These two items have just appeared on eBay, from the same seller. He has obviously split the set to earn a few extra dollars.
    How do you know that he has? For all you know he obtained them separately and is auctioning them separately.

I don't think it's fair to create a thread just to attack someone you don't know for something you don't actually know he's done.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your point is well made, and we need to be careful. On the down side the seller may be innocent and getting rapped unfairly, but on the upside his listings are getting free exposure. And you know what they say about publicity.

Anyway, I take the discussion to be more of a general commentary on a practice that is seen all too frequently in this hobby. And one that I loathe, especially as it applies to the scattering of veteran groupings. Very sad to see, but unfortunately little that can be done other than petition the seller to reconsider, or prepare to pony up with plenty of cash.

One of my most treasured groupings was acquired via a successful attempt at getting a seller to retract the auction and sell the entire lot intact. Luckily he agreed to do so, but on the condition that I accepted his price, which I was happy to do in this case. A rare happy ending.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast