Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Spooky Vietnam era helmet?

Article about: That is a mid-late nam PARATROOPER liner, or a post war paratrooper liner. Lets remember that. That is worth money, \\$50. The sweatband is post war. But, the cover could be ERDL, as ERDL cove

Default Re: Spooky Vietnam era helmet?

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    If I remember correctly, M25 is code for Vietnam era liners, DLA00-72-C-1079 14, the 72-C should be the date. I've got one similar to yours but stamped M24 on the inside of the liner
    Could you possibly tell me what the white stuff on the inside of the helmet is? o.O

Looks like dried sweat or what's left of tape, I can't really tell though

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    Looks like dried sweat or what's left of tape, I can't really tell though
    Alright I thought it might be sweat. Sounds weird but out of curiosity I smelled it to see if it has an odor but it doesn't so I guess it's just sweat, or tape.

Quote by ashgld15 View Post
    Outstanding! And most likely right on the graffity! The "flage" is for "cammo" which the whole word is just not visible because of aging,etc. It looks like there might be a DLS-75 in there but not sure. Therefore....1975 helmet cover.Play around with it in good and poor lighting and you might get a glimpse.Sometimesblack lights work.Talk aboput AC/Dc
    I can't remember if you would see anything written "ERDL" because that was only the technical name for that cammo patternused by US Army Rangers, Recon, USMC and some "brown water" Navy personell.I stiil have the "boonie" hat in that pattern somewhere.It might have been stamped but I don't remember.ERDL(pronounced phoenetically"urdil") stood for Engineering Reseaerch Developmental Laboratories" and they did all the testing of uniforms/gear,etc... for the military in those days.I think the labs were in Mass or Maryland.The pattern had all types of knick-names within the military and most Vets probably don't know it as ERDL. There would be a yellow-green and a dark green in addition to the brown and black within the pattern.I wish you had the ERDL because they were almost never issued out as helmet cover(at least not before 1969) and are worth a little! Still, you have a nice complete set from a by-gone era which is sad because when Ithink about it I'm old enough to have been in the military in the 80's and could have been issued with a helmet and cover like yours
    and now I feel......old!
    The hemet liner looks pre 1974 but the canvas webbing inside looks post war ,at least the band you photoed is.
    And finaly, look on the metal chin strap buckels of the helmet. Is there a small anchor on the one of the metal fittings? If so,that's one way to tell if the helmet SHELL is Veitnam era,but I don't know why or what the anchor means.I just know it's probably for sure to be from the war time era.
    Eric
    hi there
    i have just checked my M1 helmet because of your comments an there is a small anchor on the swivel and another on the metal fitting where it joins the strap together, as i have no idea about vietnam era helmets would this be one? as i always thought mine was a later model example.

cheers

Jamie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3