Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

St. Clair liner

Article about: Hi, I am looking to get early low pressure liners for my collection and found this one on ebay but had a concern. For some reason this looks different to me then others. Other then that, on

Default Re: St. Clair liner

yeh, i still think i will pass. its all yours! be sure to add some other pictures of the iner when you get it

I missed it then I bought a different lid. Now I have to pass also. I still say the steel pot is worth $60 by itself.

yeh, i a watching a couple hood and rubber liners and fiber liners up right now

its posted again at $60

?

As far as "clean" liners go, I have had great success with an overnight Woolite soaking. After removing the leather sweat band, pour a liberal amount of Woolite on the webbing. Tightly insert a Q-Tip swab in the hole on the front (obviously to prevent leaking) & fill the liner with normal temperature tap water until the webbing is completely submerged. Stir the contents to evenly disperse the solution. Set the inverted liner on a bowl or wrap a wet towel around and under to prevent it from tipping over. You will see the water turn murky & dark as the dirt is slowly dissolved from the webbing. Generally, half a day may be needed to thoroughly clean the webbing & possibly a second soaking with a clean solution (thoroughly rinse out liner before the second soaking). Once the water remains fairly clear with the second soaking, fill the liner once more with tap water only to rinse remaining Woolite and dirt residue. Woolite is also great for any web items & it will not remove any markings or discolor it either. If you like the "used" look and it is not that filthy, then just let it be: however, the results will astound you!

Quote by Mike View Post
    As far as "clean" liners go, I have had great success with an overnight Woolite soaking. After removing the leather sweat band, pour a liberal amount of Woolite on the webbing. Tightly insert a Q-Tip swab in the hole on the front (obviously to prevent leaking) & fill the liner with normal temperature tap water until the webbing is completely submerged. Stir the contents to evenly disperse the solution. Set the inverted liner on a bowl or wrap a wet towel around and under to prevent it from tipping over. You will see the water turn murky & dark as the dirt is slowly dissolved from the webbing. Generally, half a day may be needed to thoroughly clean the webbing & possibly a second soaking with a clean solution (thoroughly rinse out liner before the second soaking). Once the water remains fairly clear with the second soaking, fill the liner once more with tap water only to rinse remaining Woolite and dirt residue. Woolite is also great for any web items & it will not remove any markings or discolor it either. If you like the "used" look and it is not that filthy, then just let it be: however, the results will astound you!
    was this post for this thread? even though i would never do this do you have a photo of before and after?

?

Didn't look for an additional "thread" but thought a discussion on liners would be appropriate. Have only "after" liners & no camera. I sympathize with your hesitation to try my cleaning method. Like I said, if you like the "character" of the item as is, then by all means leave it be. However, the method does work wonders on the webbing. I am very particular about my collection & history in general, & would never attempt or recommend a cleaning method which would radically change the original appearance of an item. Sweat & dirt are part of the history of some items; however, dusty/tobacco stained or generally improperly stored items can & should be given a proper restoration. I have been collecting for nearly 50 years & have learned a few "tricks' through trial with minimal errors. Such as, lighter fluid to remove verdigris. Just for thought-women use Woolite on their "delicates." I'm sure they would not think of using a product which would shrink or discolor their sweaters, blouses, or unmentionables!! & neither would I!!

I have cleaned liners with Woolite. I don't soak them overnight however. I put a drop of Woolite into the liner and add water. I then let sit for a few minutes and swish the webbing up and down. Then I rinse thoroughly with water until no more soap bubbles. Then I let dry overnight. Works great. I never use water on the head band though because it will ruin it. I think some collectors lull themselves into believing that the dirt is battlefield dirt when in fact it is from sitting in a basement somewhere.

?

Of course the amount of cleaning solution & time required depends on the amount of filth; however, an overnight soaking will achieve better results on old & hardened dirt impregnated articles. Also, I don't like to watch "water boil" -I'm generally sleeping during the soaking period! I agree as stated, "remove the leather headband." Thanks for your reply & sorry if I distracted the "flow" of this thread.

do you think this one is ok. i thught it was but no one is bidding so i was a little concerned
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St. Clair liner   St. Clair liner  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast