Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

St. Clair M1 Set

Article about: andy thats a really nice helmet you have there ! the blood thing is a bit strange but still cool !

Default Re: St. Clair M1 Set

I agree adding an original sweat band or nape strap or liner chin strap to a liner that lacks one of these. I would also still class the whole rig as original, obviously its better to find a complete one if possible.
    That a interesting helmet Andy I wonder what kind of paint they used for that cross it looks like thick white wash.
    Regards
    Rod

?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    I agree adding an original sweat band or nape strap or liner chin strap to a liner that lacks one of these. I would also still class the whole rig as original, obviously its better to find a complete one if possible.
    That a interesting helmet Andy I wonder what kind of paint they used for that cross it looks like thick white wash.
    Regards
    Rod
    I agree with that, but for the absolute purists, it's been messed with.
    What are you supposed to do though, if the original parts are missing? I know I'm happy with adding the small bits and bobs, and it does not bother me when I look at it on display, as something would if I knew it was badly messed with.
    That's an unusual lid Rod, I picked it up a while ago on the bay when the exchange rate was 2:1, and I was spending some time Stateside anyway, so I was able to pick up some lids (not sure I did with that one though) and bring them home with me so it was cheaper to import. (cough)
    I've posted that one a long time ago, one of my first posts, and one opinion was that it was a rough painted Medic cross, probably in some kind whitewash that has reacted to the overpaint.

Best Regards,

Andy

I must have missed that thread.
    Strange why it only has one cross, white at that, is there no chance it could be some kind of chaplains marking or would that just be dreaming. Have you ever come across a picture of a medics helmet with this kind of marking.
    Rod

?

Have you ever come across a picture of a medics helmet with this kind of marking.
    Rod

The last pic is supposedly of just such a thing, that one is not mine, though I wish it was!

Best Regards,

Andy

Sorry Andy never noticed that last picture.
    I am glad you posted it. I’ve never seen one like that. Interesting.
    As I said before it would be great if we could date paint god knows where this helmet has been in its life.
    Regards
    Rod

?

I must have missed that thread.
    Strange why it only has one cross, white at that, is there no chance it could be some kind of chaplains marking or would that just be dreaming. Have you ever come across a picture of a medics helmet with this kind of marking.
    Rod
    It is an odd one for there being only one cross, and I did initially did think it could be a Chaplain's marked helmet. Then if it was a Chaplains, it would have been much neater in appearance surely? All of the Chaplains lids I've seen have a smaller, neater cross.
    PTO Medics tended not to advertise their occupation with high visibility all around panels, it's worth noting, sometimes with just a small white circle.
    Maybe it is a rushed battlefield medic affair where a replacement was needed asap (as was suggested in the original posting.) The cross is very rough indeed, it was done in a hurry by the look of it, and since it has like so many other insignia gone the way of the all encompassing dark green overpaint leads me to believe that it is genuine, whatever it is.
    Who really knows though?
    If anybody has an idea or a theory...

Best Regards,

Andy

Update the helmet that was shown on this thread from ebay finished at £165 without reaching the reserve....Cheers Jake.

?

Another nice one Andy
    The paint on the pot looks fine to me.
    I think you will have to get something from C I S to determine if that’s blood.
    I never knew about the shallow cut of the liner for the bales very interesting.
    The paint on the liner is different to the high pressure liners, this was perhaps just a St Clair thing, the texture that is, what do you think. I like that chin strap on it, brown rivets and green buckle and clips, were these not made during the time from moving from brown hardware to green, thus so making them mixed.
    Over all a nice helmet to have in any collection well done.
    Hi Jake and welcome to the forum.
    The helmet you have shown, may i ask if the chinstraps have been factory fitted or do they look like a field repair. I only ask out of curiosity.
    We would love to see your helmets, have you got any airborne helmets.
    Regards
    Rod
    I missed the question Rod, sorry mate.
    Yup, the dark green textured paint is a St Clair thing, this one I think is a "Type 9." After this type St Clair produced liners in the more "normal" lighter green textured paint but still used the darker rivets, ("the type 10") All a bit bloody confusing mate, it's enough to give you a headache!
    The type I have was only made from late 1942 to mid 1943, so she is a rarer bird than I thought.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 01-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Your right Andy a chaplains cross would be smaller and neater. It probably is a medic cross there seem to be many variations as if it was up to the medic what he wanted on his helmet and they probably painted them themselves. I thought PTO medics never mark their helmets at all but we will never know for sure.
    Thanks for the information on the st clair liner paint, that’s more information I did know. she is a nice one to have!

Jake I think you were correct letting that one go, if you were never going to be 100% happy with it there was no point in having it. The odd bargain is still out there, it just takes patience.
    Regards
    Rod

?

[QUOTE=plumbob;775322]Your right Andy a chaplains cross would be smaller and neater. It probably is a medic cross there seem to be many variations as if it was up to the medic what he wanted on his helmet and they probably painted them themselves. I thought PTO medics never mark their helmets at all but we will never know for sure.
    Thanks for the information on the st clair liner paint, that’s more information I did know. she is a nice one to have!

Rod, PTO medics did mark their helmets mate, one type, the white circlle is pictured below, the photo's with the red background. They used other markings too, as wearing a big red cross was quickly found to be mostly fatal in the PTO. The white circle helmet is from here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1...y-liner-13085/

If you remember, I took a punt on a badly photographed one from the States a while back, though in hand it does not look quite right, it was quickly painted and badly smudged, so the jury is still out on it but I think it probably is not a PTO medic, just a very cheap ($130.00) M1 from the States! You never know though, the paint is old, so it might be.
    Mine are the other pics below, before the WW2 one.

Best Regards,

Cantankerous,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St. Clair M1 Set   St. Clair M1 Set  

St. Clair M1 Set   St. Clair M1 Set  

St. Clair M1 Set  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast