Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info

Article about: I would greatly appreciate any help or info on this helmet. I picked it up for \\$20 today. It is a front seam swivel bale helmet. It is marked 912E which puts it in the 1944 range. The odd th

Default Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info

I would greatly appreciate any help or info on this helmet. I picked it up for $20 today. It is a front seam swivel bale helmet. It is marked 912E which puts it in the 1944 range. The odd thing about it is the paint. I was told by the guy who sold it to me (I know - buy the helmet not the story) that it was stored by the military and not issued. He may have meant after WWII. Do you believe it was repainted? If so does it look like a military paint job and when (what era) was it repainted? It came with this liner (probably Vietnam or later) which has not webbing. It also came with this plastic protective sheet between liner and helmet.
    Like I said, any thoughts on its origin/paint job etc would be appreciated.
    I figured for $20 I could not go wrong so I purchased it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info   Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info  

Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info   Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info  

Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info   Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info  

?

Default Re: Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info

Hi Anton,
    You have a very nice lid there, as I've already mentioned over PM! As for the liner, this originally contained the Welson-Davis suspension system developed as part of the Lightweight Individual Clothing and Equipment project (LINCLOE) from the late 60's/early 70's. Below is an image of the helmet with the original suspension system. This of course was never adopted.

LINCLOE eventually became ALICE (All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) which was eventually adopted and is in some capacity still in use today (mostly in Reserve and National Guard units).

A shame the liner system is missing, but still a nice find for the price. Are there any markings on the interior of the liner?

Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info

?

As for the paint, it looks period WWII to me. If repainted for the KW, it would be a darker shade of green. If for VN or later, a lighter shade.

By the way, I expanded the photo and saw the marking on the interior. Also, the plastic sheet would have been present as part of storage, which correlates with what the seller told you. Typically you see brown paper material, however considering the liner was experimental, they may have stepped up the protection a bit.

?

the liner is not an experimental version its a late 70's early 80's liner this was the last version of the liner before the KPOT came in to use the suspension that would have went in it looks exactly the same as the earlier versions but they introduced the ability to unclip it from the liner so you could repair the suspension without having to change the whole liner as for the shell it is & WW2 front seamed version thats been repainted post war with what has been called a moss finish which was an experimental finish that never caught on.

see pic below as to the type of suspension that would have went in that type of liner.
    Attached Images Attached Images Stange M1 Helmet - Please help with info 

?

I appologize, Nick. I saw the lack of A washers and assumed it was the liner system I mentioned. To be honest, I havent seen one post VN war liner and was unaware this kind of detachable supension system was used. I stand corrected....

?

that's ok mate we all something new every day that's the best thing about these forums & this hobby

Thanks for the info guys.
    Hey NickD, with respect to the MOSS FINISH, would this have been painted and then stored and not used?
    Also does the fact that it has this experimental finish make the value go up or down?
    What would you place on it value wise?
    Lastly, what era liner would you put with it?
    A - WWII Liner
    B - 50's Liner
    C - VN era Liner
    D - Keep the liner and get the suspension system for it.

?

it does look like its been in storage rather then used from the ware on the finish, as for the finish as far as I'm aware it has no bearing on the value as its neither rare nor sort after. from the ware on the chin strap bails it looks like it originally had NAM era chin straps so you could replace these then add a NAM era liner to complete it maybe an early version if you can & it would make a nice display piece. price as it is now the liner is basically worthless as nobody wants this type & the shell being that its a front version you might get $50 for it if your lucky.

Thanks for the great info.
    I really appreciate you input.
    Like I said, I was in a quandry as to how to put it together for display and which liner.
    It is a really nice condition lid.
    People are going nuts for front seam swivel bails on ebay but they usually have the original paint/corking though.
    I think I will keep it - I like it becaues it is kind of unusual.
    Probably stored for a long time.

Thanks for this thread, it once again brings more great info of the variations of the M-1 to light. I've seen a couple of those "MOSS" textured lids, as Nick has called them, always wondered what the story was, they certainly are not too eye appealing but still a piece of the M-1 Story. The few I have seen all looked to have been un-used and stored (stacked) as the stacking damages the heavy texture pretty bad.

Thanks for all the new Info Nick, more good stuff to put in the M-1 info file!

Russ