Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

steel rim M1

Article about: Yeah the one I have does not have stainless steel bails but normal steel. Wartime production would be the best answer.

?

Default steel rim M1

Hi,

Here's my steel rim M1. It looks like WW2 according to the chinstrap and front-seam.
    But on the site toppots they say when they changed from stainless steel to steel rim
    the seam went to the rear. But maybe as there are stainless steel back seam rims, there are
    steel rim front-seams also. If you look closer there are remains of white bars on the front, the left one is really rectangular, maybe captain bars??

regards Menno
    steel rim M1steel rim M1steel rim M1steel rim M1steel rim M1

?

Default Re: steel rim M1

can you see the heat stamp ?

Hi Menno if that rim is indeed steel then that would be the second helmet in less than a week to surface as this is exceptionally rare....as we already know that the very first rear seamed used up excess stocks of stainless steel rims,but to have a front seamed with Hadfield steel rim is unusual to say the least,unless it was meant to be a rear seam and through a manufacturing mistake had the rim installed back to front which explain a lot.....depends as nick has asked for the Heat Lot Number...........Jake.

Pardon my ignorance i know very little about M1s, why did they use stainless for the rim?....

As far as i am aware Gunny it was to help stop interference with compasses ect. I don’t know why as the helmets were non magnetic anyway.
    I might be wrong so I am sure one of the guys with m1 books may correct me.
    My mate has a front seam steel rim and I think it was just a mistake.
    Rod

Hi Gunny as far as i know the steel shell was magnetic whereas in principal "stainless steel" was not,so to act like an earth,but it never lived up to the expectations,also the chinstrap bales were too "stainless".......Jake.

Cheers for that guys!....

?

I missed the other helmet that turned up, but as you said Jake, because it's non magnetic I can't test it with a magnet. But the little parts where the paint is missing it doesn't look like stainless steel, and there is some rust on the back part of the rim. The heat stamp look like 7A is that possible, my eyesight isn't getting better....

Menno

are the bails stainless?
    Rod

Menno that rim is deffo steel not stainless,so very interesting stuff indeed........Jake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast