Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Strange M1 Liner

Article about: My M1 liner seems to be a cheap replacement piece. I cannot figure out how to adjust it to fit the circumference of my head. It seems to be riveted with black rivets which lie under a foam c

Default Strange M1 Liner

My M1 liner seems to be a cheap replacement piece. I cannot figure out how to adjust it to fit the circumference of my head. It seems to be riveted with black rivets which lie under a foam cover that was glued on. Any help would be really appreciated.

Default Re: Strange M1 Liner

It isn't US. If memory serves, it is a German liner for their clone version of the US M1. Judging by the dates, this one was produced in '78. As for helping with the sizing issue, have to say I don't have a clue. Sorry.

While we are at it, can we confirm it is in fact a US M1 WWII era helmet as advertised?

looks like a swivel bale (post ww2) to my untrained eye?
    Last edited by sunsetIE; 06-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.

The liner is Austrian.

Have a look at this link. It is in french but worth your while, as it is very detailed! Use a translation tool.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 75 :.

These helmets came in several sizes, just like hats. They cannot be adjusted.

The stamp means: HBA = Heeres Bekleidungsamt, which is German for Army Quartermaster.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The liner is Austrian.

Have a look at this link. It is in french but worth your while, as it is very detailed! Use a translation tool.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 75 :.

These helmets came in several sizes, just like hats. They cannot be adjusted.

The stamp means: HBA = Heeres Bekleidungsamt, which is German for Army Quartermaster.

Cheers,
    Emile
    So is my helmet an M1 or a Model 75?

Thanks for the help!

Your liner is an Austrian M75.

The steel shell seems to be a front seam helmet. It is not absolutely clear in the picture, but I see a joint in the rim in the front. So that makes it a late WW2 era, flexible bale US M-1 helmet. The shell has been refurbished after the war with a lighter paint job. Probably Vietnam period.

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Looks like a front seam shell to me. Emile already pointed out the liner is an Austrian M75. It is possible that they are 'original' to each other, if I recall the austrian army bought up surplus shells before making their own.

Nitram

Nitram is right. Austria bought surplus shells. Still I believe the colour to be a USA seventies hue.

Cheers,
    Emile