Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Strange M1 Swivel bale - Help!?

Article about: Greetings esteemed Gentlemen (and Ladies) of WRF. First of all this is my first post in this section of the forum, so I hope the thread is posted in the right area. If not then I apologise f

Have to agree the shape is not an M51 however you never posted a complete picture of the shell at the start of the thread,only a close up of the Bale,hence why i took a wild guess,think there are threads here with m1's from Asia which carry these type of Bales,Indonesia i think is one.

ruddersrangers44 - I gave it a shot and tried to look at some of the threads with Indonesian M1 helmet clones. Unfortunately, I found no matches and to be honest I am quite lost with this helmet at the moment.

I know this helmet. It is the danish m/48 helmet, and this variant is the 1955/1956 producer by Glud & Marstrand. It is magnetic steel. Everything is magnetic on it, including the rim, bale and rivites on the chinstrap. There is no marks or numbers of any kind on it. But it Can be identified on what you notice , the bales themselves Which are smaller, and on the joint of the rim in the back, which overlap by up to one cm. I have see that on no other euro-clone M1’s - tho the Linnemann-Schnetzer helmets can have 1-2 mm overlap on some variants. But this is much more extreme. The 1957 Gray CF variant also has this rim overlap, but they have normal US bales and are serial number marked on the rim. Roughly 40000 of these gray was produced. They are also magnetic.
    Anywhere between 5000 and 20000 of these 55/56 green was produced. The where, among others, used by danish UN troops in Egypt.

Hallo,

yes this is a M1 Euro Klone. Netherland M1953

Not a Dutch m/53 helmet. It’s a Danish m/48 shell, produced by Glud and Marstrand in 55/56. It is all magnetic.

A bit late in the day.

As stated above, it is a Danish Army helmet, made by Diaward Steel Works Ltd of Hong Kong in the fifties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2