Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tank destroyer helmet first to last

Article about: This explains your name mate, very cool indeed. Even as a fairly committed Stahlhelm collector I can appreciate these and would try to buy them if I stumbled over them somewhere. Good job to

Default Tank destroyer helmet first to last

Thought I would share my two tank destroyer helmets. From the start of the war to the end. The first is my m1917 td helmet I've had for the last 7 years. Not knowing for sure but I think it is from the time period of Camp Hood during the early part of the war. There is a photo I have of my grandfather wearing a 1917 at camp hood. The second is a 1944/45 Schlueter that came from the 6th tank destroyer. The helmet belonged to a Private Villar assigned to HQ. It is great having them together. Enjoy. Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tank destroyer helmet first to last   Tank destroyer helmet first to last  

Tank destroyer helmet first to last   Tank destroyer helmet first to last  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Very cool and either would be very rare I would think, so to have the pair is very very special.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry thank you for the kind words. I always said if I ever got a TD helmet I would not collect any more US helmets. Well I did not STOP at the first one. We will see if it stops at this one. My wife hopes so. Marty. Grandson of a 644th Td vet

Hi Marty,

if I could find a 53rd Welsh div marked helmet I would consider myself a lucky man, only ever seen two and neither were for sale. If not obvious, my dad served with the 53rd Welsh.
    Regards,

Jerry

We have to keep the memory alive for future family members that they DO NOT FORGET. May 2014 be the year for the 53rd Welsh fiv helmet. Marty

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    We have to keep the memory alive for future family members that they DO NOT FORGET. May 2014 be the year for the 53rd Welsh fiv helmet. Marty
    Thanks mate, I always live in the hope I will find one. I was lucky last year and found a helmet from one of the Welsh regiments that would have made up part of the Welsh div and he might have served in the div, but that is not known. It had no flash, just his name and service number for the Royal Welch Fusiliers, but sadly WWII service records cannot be researched from the number, other than to the regiment.
    Regards,

Jerry

Great items! I don't collect Western Allied's militaria, but I really like the badge that they use and I'm glad to see these specimens. The M1917 with that badge must be very rare.

?

The 644th was activated December 15,1941 from a cadre of the 44th Inf. Division.
    They entered combat in July 1944. They were equipped with the M 10 vehicle.
    They were attached to the 82nd Airborne and the 1,2,8,9,86and 89th Infantry Divisions during the war.
    Their commanding officer was Ephraim F Graham.
    The unit had 5 major campaign stars.
    They destroyed 55 armored vehicles and 1 plane during the war.

I hope this information is of some use.

Right on it with in info. My grandfather received 5 battle stars, along with receiving the bronze star when he and a group of men had to go into a town in Belgium to bring back a recon squad that was trapped behind German lines. He did not talk very much about his service, but I do remember him saying he always hated " soften up a town " because he knew there were children in the towns. Sad part of history. Marty

?

very nice items. TD stuff is hard to find here's a few things I've picked up along the way. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tank destroyer helmet first to last   Tank destroyer helmet first to last  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast