Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this helmet and liner?

Article about: WWII Gi Battle Damaged M1 Helmet 88th Div MP Painted Mess Kit Relics | eBay

Default Re: Thoughts on this helmet and liner?

Hello. Please save and upload the pictures. When the link is dead so is this thread.

Works for me.

Went for about $120 too much.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

You can almost barely make out the 88 neat that it is tagged though and if it is a relic how is the liner in average shape compaired to the helmet

This WWII M1 Fixed Bale Helmet and Mess Kit were found in Laiatico, Italy in 1966 by a relic hunter visiting the battlefields of WWII. These items have very old typewritten museum tags affixed on each item. I was told that these were from a private museum display which closed years ago.

The Helmet Shell is an early fixed bale variety. Shows signs of concussion damage. What is interesting is that this helmet features a painted 88th division SSI insignia (blue clover), and the early MP designation ("MP" with a white band painted around the helmet). It is my belief that this helmet had originally been an MP helmet and was perhaps re-painted in the field to be reissued... when this was done the 88th SSI was applied (handpainted). I do not know for certain.

Liner is original to the helmet, and is complete. It is in the condition you would expect it to be in after having been exposed to the elements either outside, or in an out building, for over twenty years. Suspension is khaki. The sweatband appears to have been cut at one time. Liner is marked with the oval with the character of a man inside of it (I forgot this maker marking... plastic products I believe?)

Mess Kit only the lower half is marked "MA co. 1942" on the handle. The mess kit has a very dramatic shrapnel strike on the one end. This item is also museum tagged and was found at the same time as the helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this helmet and liner?   Thoughts on this helmet and liner?  

Thoughts on this helmet and liner?   Thoughts on this helmet and liner?  

Thoughts on this helmet and liner?   Thoughts on this helmet and liner?  

Oh man, I wish I would have bid on this! My reenactment unit is the 88th. I seriously would have loved to have this in my collection.