Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two M1 helmets for your aproval

Article about: I had a post before but since it was mixed with other stuff i didnt get much answers there, maybe ill have better luck here. What do you guys think of these M1's. The netted one is Korean Wa

?

Wink Two M1 helmets for your aproval

I had a post before but since it was mixed with other stuff i didnt get much answers there, maybe ill have better luck here. What do you guys think of these M1's. The netted one is Korean War and the Camo cover is obviously Vietnam which i plan on getting Cat Eyes for. Also if value could be determined that would be much appreciated, im not planning on selling them but its always nice to know

all the best,
    Stefan

Two M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aproval

Default Re: Two M1 helmets for your aproval

Quote by thekid View Post
    I had a post before but since it was mixed with other stuff i didnt get much answers there, maybe ill have better luck here. What do you guys think of these M1's. The netted one is Korean War and the Camo cover is obviously Vietnam which i plan on getting Cat Eyes for. Also if value could be determined that would be much appreciated, im not planning on selling them but its always nice to know

all the best,
    Stefan

Two M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aprovalTwo M1 helmets for your aproval
    Great love it, hope I find something like this too one day.

Greets Anima

NCA
    ?

Nice helmets.I cant give a value without handling them really..
    The Nam period liner is an Airborne troops liner.It has had the 'A' yokes cut out though.

the value for helmets like those would probably be between $25 for the VN set if it has straps

the one with the netting maybe $30 - $40

I prefer the helmet set with the netting and older style liner

are the chin straps missing? if they dont have straps the value is lower

?

I think that is a low assessment in price but maybe that's because you are in the US where this stuff is more common. Thanks for helping anyway.

All the best,
    Stefan

?

Hello, Stefan: I think the VN helmet might sell for US$40 to US$55 because of the cut straps that NCA pointed out, but maybe less; I have been watching them on eBay lately and am somewhat familiar with pricing. I believe that cats eye helmet bands were introduced post VN war, so I would go with a plain band with the stencil on it. You can watch for these on eBay, but take your time; they are selling new fakes as "unissued".

For a nice look to the helmet, take off the cover and dampen it thoroughly, wring it out, and stretch it tightly over the helmet. I actually put my foot inside the helmet and pulled the "fingers" of the cover to stretch it tightly, then put in the liner and set it outside for a few days to dry. As it dries it will tighten up, and this will remove most of the wrinkles for a better, field-worn look which displays well.

I like the Korean War helmet and net, which should also display well. Have you checked the liner headband on the cloth part at the rear to see what the contract number or date is? I can see it on your KW liner, but of course cannot read it. Look at both the VN liner and the KW liner for these, although sometimes they are very difficult to read. Also, the helmet cover should have a date or contract number on one of the "fingers" on the brown side. I can help you with a date for the contract numbers if you find them. Anyway, I bet they will look good in your collection!
    Mike

Both liners are of "Vietnam" era. The one you show with the netted lid is the post Korean War version, with the non-HBT weave cotton tape in the suspension. Should be minus the grommet on the front ala the earlier styles for rank pins to be clasped through as well. These came about in the latter 50's and were later replaced by the nylon liners with the changes we are familiar with in the suspension . Difficult to tell more with the helmets, would need better pics. And as mentioned, Nam era helmet bands were without cat eyes. If I recall correctly, those weren't introduced until the tail end of the conflict, or just slightly after.