Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.

Article about: the market for good quality & rarer M-1s is still good they can still fetch good prices.

Default U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.

I PURCHASED A FOOT LOCKR FROM AN ESTATE SALE FROM A VET. IT IS A FIXED BALE, FRONT SEAM WITH STAINLESS STEEL RIM. THERE IS A A SMALL SPLIT ON THE SHELL AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LINER LIKE THIS. IT APPEARS TO BE LINEN AND THE MANUFACTURER'S NAME IS SEEN ON THE INSIDE BRIM.THE VET RUBBER STAMPED HIS NAME AND RANK [2ND LT.] ON THE INSIDE OF THE LINER AND IN PEN ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE OUTER SHELL. I HAVE CHOSEN TO LIMIT THE PHOTO'S SO AS NOT TO EXCEED THE WEB'S LIMITS.
    ANOTHER QUESTION IS JUST AS THERE ARE ADVANCED SS HELMET COLLECTOR'S WHO COLLECT AUTHENTIC VARIANTS, DOES THE SAME HOLD TRUE FOR U.S. POT COLLECTORS. IS THERE A COMMERCIAL VALUE?THE HELMET IS NOT FOR SALE BUT JOINS A SMALL SHRINE IN MY SON'S OFFICE. WE KNEW THE VET WHO BECAME AN M.D.WE VALUE HIS SRVICE.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.   U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.  

U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.   U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.  

U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.   U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.  

Default Re: U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.

What it looks like you have is a Hawley liner. I'm not to familiar with these type of liners. like the fixed bail shell.

hope this helps

Default Re: U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.

Yep, it's either a Hawley or General Fiber liner...very desirable liner for collectors. It looks like it's in immaculate shape which is a definite plus. Great find!

As said, a great find..........!

You don't see these liners in this kind of condition very often,
    and this one looks unissued/unworn. Pity there is a split
    in the helmet, but still a very nice aquisition.

Please show us some other stuff from the footlocker !
    Regards,

Steve.

EXCELLENT! Notice the "A" rivets, not the earlier rectangular rivets! I love it. Congrat's, Jim G.

As stated very rare in that condition for the liner. Congratulations on a fantastic find. Superb example.

rgds, Tyrone

?

i believe this is the second pattern fiber liner with the removable chin strap & A washers very nice indeed & as already said very rear to find in such mint condition & complete

Thumbs up Re: U.s. Fixed bale, front seam unusual liner. Please comment and identify.

Thank you for the info.further help suggests that the split in the shell may have been issued in that condition. A search suggests that the quarter masters corp was so short of helmets that they issued helmets with splits and dents which were later replaced since the early sheet metal shells were not of sufficent strength.

?

the split in it was caused from the way they were made as it was stamped out from one sheet of metal & this process in a lot of cases caused what we call stress fractures & yes they were issued in this condition as well

i found on ebay on nov 11th a pot with a damaged hawley liner that had 16 bids and a hammer price of $910. i thought the market was dead? is this true for us m-1 pots since i have 2 marine helmets and other desirables and will sell on ebay or otherwise. i thought the members would like the info on the hawley liner which i have given to my son.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast