Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

UN painted WW2 liner

Article about: I find this one a bit strange and interesting considering all the US and clone liners that have been made since ww2 that could have been used for the UN. It’s a mid ww2 westinghouse liner wi

Default UN painted WW2 liner

I find this one a bit strange and interesting considering all the US and clone liners that have been made since ww2 that could have been used for the UN.
    It’s a mid ww2 westinghouse liner with a 1963 sweatband painted in UN colours with transfer decals. Which I got from a British soldier who was issued it for his Cyprus tour 1985-1986 with the Queens Dragoon Guards as part of the armoured Scout Car Squadron.
    So 1942/44 liner with 1963 US sweatband issued in 1985. I wonder where it has been for those forty odd years.
    It would maybe help I someone knows when the UN started painting helmets blue and when transfers were first use for decals.
    Or any other thoughts are welcome.
    Best Regards and thanks.
    Rod

UN painted WW2 linerUN painted WW2 linerUN painted WW2 liner

Default Re: UN painted WW2 liner

hi rod does the liner have a white square impregnated stamp under the webbing?can't help on UN stuff sorry,dave.

No it doesn’t Dave I’ve never seen that before have you? and what is the significance of that on a liner mate.
    Regards
    Rod

?

I know they started painting helmets in the 1950 and used the decals probably about late 50s, these ww2 liners were surplus for a long time even up into the 1980s, since the us never waste thing like this rather uncommon helmet liner.
    Sean F

I can't say much about it either but I also have a similar one

Thanks for the replies Sean and Rene.
    I don’t mean to be disrespectful but if they were common up to the eighties why did they make more for Korea and Vietnam and continue making them through the seventies. But you could be correct Sean.
    What I was kinda thinking was that these (including Renes) may have been passed down from unit to unit in the UN where there insignia needed to be recognised. But god knows for how long that was, that’s why i was wondering when transfers first came in. These may be some of the first painted UN helmets passed on through the decades.
    Just another one of these ones I will never know for sure.
    Thanks again
    Rod

in a nut shell rod the on going (US helmet development program)pure and simple. better liners materials and above all ballistic qualities,a liner in the combat zone is tested to the limit,so by the mid 50's the nylon m1 combat helmer liner programme was starting out,thicker and heavier with higher ballistics etc, ww2 manufactured liners would have lost a large percentage of there original ballistic qualities were most likely bulk sold off to a UN country,to pave the way for modern up to date liners, regards dave.

That’s definitely another feasible explanation Dave.
    Always looking for others thoughts thanks.
    Regards
    Rod