Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unidentified Helmet Insignia

Article about: by plumbob That’s a fair point Dave. Perhaps Andy will tell us the heat stamp so we can work on that. Rod 238B........ but with a bloody great "S" above..... Schlueter, sorry. I do

?

Default Unidentified M1 Helmet Insignia

This is one of those unit markings that will probably never be identified. I have not come across another like it, (except one with a red square, and that was unidentified too!) A clue maybe the condition of the chinstraps which seem to indicate exposure to salt water. Marines perhaps? There is a name "Smith" stenciled to the front of the pot, which is faded. Navy?
    I do not believe the liner to be original to the helmet.
    Thoughts welcomed.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified Helmet Insignia   Unidentified Helmet Insignia  

Unidentified Helmet Insignia   Unidentified Helmet Insignia  

Unidentified Helmet Insignia   Unidentified Helmet Insignia  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aj4010; 07-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Unidentified Helmet Insignia

dont have a clue andy but this is very much my cup of tea,fantastic original lid and that amazing rayon liner.im sure your trying to tease me now i want it now,top stuff mate,cheers dave.

?

Here's the pic that didn't show. I don't know whats up with the uploader, but it's driving me nuts.
    In this shot, the stencil does not look like "Smith" at all.

Tease you Dave, who me?

Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified Helmet Insignia  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hi Andy nice lid again.
    Out of interest did you get the pair like this, what i mean is an early liner with a later war pot.
    Strange how these things find themselves mated sometimes.
    I haven’t a clue about the square mate.
    All the best
    Rod

?

Rod, as far as I remember they came together, but it was a few years ago so I'm not really sure. I don't believe I would have put such an early liner into a mid/late war front seam swivel bale. Unless I was drunk!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

I don’t think you would have done that either mate i was just curious.
    What is that on the liner has it been painted yellow then silver over it at some time.
    Rod

?

Silver, then yellow. It's a real odd one.

Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified Helmet Insignia  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Maybe it was a factory unpainted green one.
    I have read that silver paint was quite often used for lieutenants bars ect on helmets, so maybe someone decided they would like a totally silver liner, so that could be period you never know.
    Just another one of those ones we will never know for sure.
    Rod

rod and andy if the heat lot number is fairly low then the swivels could have been field done then that way the liner would have mated with the pot from the start,just one of many reasons open to discussion,cheers dave.

That’s a fair point Dave.
    Perhaps Andy will tell us the heat stamp so we can work on that.
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast