Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Unique m1 navy helmet conversation

Article about: Patches, you've seen mine but I figured I would show it on this thread, 1943 McCord fixed bail with navy blue paint and Navy Lieutenant insignia. You'll have I excuse the paper towel role, s

Default Unique m1 navy helmet conversation

Hello, the purpose for me starting this thread is so everyone can share their navy m1s. I have one that is blue, white, and yellow and i read that they had many colors. Let me know about yours and please share your photos! Thanks.

Default Re: Unique m1 navy helmet conversation

Here's mine Danny!

It's one of my favorites- just a pretty, solid Navy veteran.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unique m1 navy helmet conversation   Unique m1 navy helmet conversation  

Unique m1 navy helmet conversation   Unique m1 navy helmet conversation  

Unique m1 navy helmet conversation   Unique m1 navy helmet conversation  

Thats nice. I am looking at one to get that is just like yours but a diffrent shade of blue.

?

heres my navy lids

the brown looking one was at some point grey as it has flecks of grey paint on the chin strap but not sure as to why it now looks brown it has the USN stencil on the inside at the back of the shell.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unique m1 navy helmet conversation   Unique m1 navy helmet conversation  

We've got a few I'll post......one of my vary favorite helmet collectables!

Viet Nam era Navy M-1 possibly used on small boats or something of that sort where it would be importaint for the "XO" distiction to stand out. Typical "fancy" navy paint locker job, no need to re-stencil the "XO", just paint around it!

Another "typical" USN marked up helmet, gun mount assignment maybe? It's a rear seam Schlueter so not likely to have been used during WWII. You can see hints of yellow primer under the top coat of red paint, which did not come into use until the early 1970's so this helmet's paint scheme looks to be of Viet Nam era.

Typical "Damage Control Locker" helmet brush painted red and we fitted it with a WWII period battery powered helmet lamp. The helmet itself is a McCord that has the not so commonly found, front seam with magnetic rim. Pretty salty liner as well!

Another of our late war rear seam Schlueter helmets. This helmet likely never saw the open sea, as with the sailors name and Hull Technician rating insignia drawn on to the helmet, along with the yellow color, gives good indication that this was for shipyard use. It does retain it's late war period chin strap and has a very salty liner, of earlier vintage, that shows some makeshift repair work to its webbing.

This is a classic exmaple of a shipboard worn helmet. There are at least 3 layers of grey paint on this helmet, the last of which was stenciled "REP'R 5 for Repair Locker 5. It's a front seam McCord but the heat stamp is buried under all the paint. We mated this helmet shell up with a 1943 Westinghouse liner that someone had stencled with a Chief Petty Officers Machinest Mates rating badge.

Purely and assumption on our part that this is navy lid but it most likely is. We reserected this lid from under a coat of post war olive drab. It's a nice front seam swival bale Schlueter that looks to be specialty painted for some reason. We've not been able to find another example painted like this one other than a black and white film footage of a sailor on the deck of a ship in battle during WWII but the colors were not clear. If anyone has any ideas, We'd love to hear them!

Although not an M-1 helmet, we thought you might enjoy this nice piece of US Navy history.

Shipyard Hardhat ADFM-5
    The MSA hardhat markings indicate that it was used aboard the Auxiliary Floating Dock Medium (AFDM) No. 5. This is a typical safety hat of the 1940’s, worn by workers in a construction environment. This particular helmet is believed to be a Type K Skull Guard model and was likely worn by one of the shipyard workers, either civilian or military, assigned to AFDM-5. The two red hash marks may indicate that this hardhat belonged to an officer of some sort.

AFDM-5 was originally designated as YFD-21 (Yard Floating Dock). YFD-21 was build buy the Everett Pacific Shipbuilding Co. in Everett, Washington and was commissioned February, 1943. Its original name may have been USS Rebuilder however, this is unconfirmed. In 1945 (uncertain if during or post war) YDF-21 was re-designated AFDM-5 and continued its service through the Korean and Vietnam War, while stationed in Subic Bay. In 1979 AFDM-5 was renamed Resourceful and re-designated as Medium Auxiliary Repair Dry Dock (ARDM-5). The ARDM-5 was damaged in a typhoon in 1997 and shortly after struck from the navy inventory but later was purchased and restored to use by a civilian contrator in the Philippine's and is believed to be in service today!

On a side note, this last photo shows the ADFM-5 afloat with the Spruance Class Destroyer USS Kinkaid, D D -965 in her berth (the 9 in her hull number is obscured). I was stationed aboard the USS Oldendorf, D D-972 which is a near identical ship and I also did a very short stint on the Kinkaid providing techical assistance to help her get through critical inspections.

We hope you all enjoy these as much as we do!

Russ & Son

Nice, i have one that i will post pictures of. I know the navy had diffrent colors to paint helmets but i havent seen any with traces of all of them. What do you think?

I fixed all the broken attachments

Quote by patches3 View Post
    Nice, i have one that i will post pictures of. I know the navy had diffrent colors to paint helmets but i havent seen any with traces of all of them. What do you think?
    I'm not quite sure I understand the question?

Here's my USN M1for your perusal, and quite a salty one it is too. It's rear-seamed with an April 1945 heat stamp and 1960's chinstraps. It has a 60's liner in it with a 70's sweatband which I intend to replace with a 60's one someday to make it a nice Vietnam era Navy lid.

Unique m1 navy helmet conversationUnique m1 navy helmet conversationUnique m1 navy helmet conversationUnique m1 navy helmet conversation

?

got some really cool looking Navy M-1s here

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast