Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown M1 Helmet shell

Article about: had one just like it, got it in 1998, there was a huge stack of them. they are paostwar vietnam war m1s, same finish same straps.

Default Unknown M1 Helmet shell

I bought this M1 shell for $20 a few years ago because nobody can pass up a M1, right? I pulled it out of my closet and I'm trying to figure out what I can about it. It has a front seam and I believe cork coating? The only stamping on it is "101G" It has later model swivel bale and a single snap chin strap.. It's driving me crazy trying to figure this out.. I'm going to try and find a liner for this shell once I figure out more about it.

Default Re: Unknown M1 Helmet shell

Hi, welcome to the Forum !

The helmet is probably 1970's or early '80's - at least the chinstrap is.
    M1 helmets were issued until around 1983 or '84, I believe.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

being front seamed the shell is of WW2 manufacture as for the low heat stamp number its either originally a MCCORD made fixed bail version that's been converted/upgraded to the swivel bail version or its a SCHLUETER made shell is there any other stamp near the number the looks like a capitol S ?

as for the paint finish i cant really tell from these pic's is it possible to get better pic's in natural light ?

I'll get a picture in the sun later as it's dark now.. I tried to get a better shot in my room, hope it helps. There is nothing else stamped, at least nothing I could see, all that is there is "101G" and that is VERY worn down, I almost had no idea it was there.. My thoughts are it is an early helmet that had recieved upgrades over time by the military, but who knows, eh? The top is smoother than the bottom, if that helps and the last image is of the "101G"

?

Could it be that a number in the stamp is too faint to read and it's a mid war MCCord? 70's-80's strap though. Paint is surprising for an old timer if it has been in service that long. Maybe somebody added the chinstrap.

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit. Is that stamp 1015 G?
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

It's possible someone added the chinstrap, but I have very carefully checked and even used my surefire flashlight on it, it definitely says "101 G" No S around or on the helmet and certainly no 5 between the "101" and "G".

?

well if it is a MCCORD made shell & that is the heat stamp number it would date this shell to around April 1942 which is possible & as said its been upgraded from a fixed bail shell to the swivel version as for the paint job it looks extremely coarse but original may be a repaint after the bails were changed out ? another possibility is that its a SCHLUETER shell but missing the "S" stamp which again has happened.

I'm sure it is as Nick says, front seam, heat stamp and texture makes it so. Lots of early fixed bails were converted/fixed/repaired to swivel bail during the war, they are very common. Certainly an early WWII McCord shell with an later chin strap added sometime along the way.

Perhaps it is the lighting in the first pic which makes the paint look
    a very pale green - later shots show the darker olive drab that is
    more familiar to me.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Just took these a few minutes ago..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast