Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown M1 Liner stamp - help to ID?

Article about: The Dutch factory VerBliFa produced M1 clones which showed cracks as well. All cracked ones were condemned and scrapped. For us collectors, these condemned ones are very collectible, but mos

Default Unknown M1 Liner stamp - help to ID?

From my very small M1 collection: I purchased a McCord shell with what looks like a period '43/44 liner. However it has a large green ink stamp [ATTACH][/ATTACH]that I cannot ID even after spending hours trawling sites.

I suspect the liner may be post war (korea?) or a foreign made liner.

Hopefully wrong but as a newby just keen to find out!

Rgds
    Spencer
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown M1 Liner stamp - help to ID? 

Default Re: Unknown M1 Liner stamp - help to ID?

Hi
    Better picture and NickD is your man.

Martin

?

it is indeed a foreign made liner i had one marked the same way It's a Belgian, 'ABL' = 'ArmeƩ Belge/Belgisch Leger' ('Belgian Army' in French and Dutch) liner dated 1954.

Quote by NickD View Post
    it is indeed a foreign made liner i had one marked the same way It's a Belgian, 'ABL' = 'ArmeƩ Belge/Belgisch Leger' ('Belgian Army' in French and Dutch) liner dated 1954.
    I thought it was Belgian, its the same mark that's inside my weird Pin-up art lid! Cheers Nick

Thank you gents, appreciate the quick response!

Quick follow up question: Are these foreign liners made the same way as original WW2 liners? i.e. same materials?
    Where can I get info on foreign made liners?

This makes me query the authenticity of the shell. Any specific details that Dutch/Belgian shells will have to differentiate from US made?

Thks in advance!

?

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I thought it was Belgian, its the same mark that's inside my weird Pin-up art lid! Cheers Nick
    your welcome mate

?

US made shell's should have whats called a HEAT OF THE STAMP number on the inside to the front of the shell around the peak area foreign made shell's dont have this but some do have either ink stamps or a number stamped in to the rim of the shell .

see pic below of a MCCORD made shell number stamp
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown M1 Liner stamp - help to ID?  

Thanks, yep the shell has a stamp 269 C in the right place, fixed bale, khaki strap, brass buckle, dark green colour, sand texture.

Has some interesting vertical cracks on the back of the shell, 2 inches long about 5 of them evenly spaced, ever seen that kind of damage before?

Cheers
    Spencer

?

stress fractures are a common problem with these shells but they were still used in this condition just about every M-1 i have has these ranging from 1 to quite a few also the fixed bail means its US as no other country made them this way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast