Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....

Article about: Hello everyone, this Stephen from Switzerland ; I hope you'll be able to help me with a M1 helmet I was given this morning : I already threw the liner away, it was a Belgian one (with the ty

Default Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....

Hello everyone, this Stephen from Switzerland ; I hope you'll be able to help me with a M1 helmet I was given this morning : I already threw the liner away, it was a Belgian one (with the typical small Belgian flag on its left side and Belgian military markings inside), and it was in a very bad condition anyway.

The problem I've got is with the shell (please see attached pictures) :

- It doesn't seem to be a M51 Belgian shell, since the latter also had a small flag on the left side
    - The shell has got fixed chinstrap loops, whereas Belgian ones were moveable
    - The weld seam of the rim is located underneath the visor (i.e. on the front of the helmet)
    - But I can't find any b....y heat/steel sheet stamp on the shell !!!

Therefore, I don't know what I've got....Is it an American early production M1 helmet ? Should I go further with this helmet shell ? Should it be a genuine US M1, I'd be glad to give it a proper liner, chinstraps, etc...

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....   Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....  

Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....   Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....  

Default Re: Unstamped shell ???!!! Advices would be more than welcome....

Looks like a shinny stainless steel rim, although hard to see for sure from the photos....

I'm betting you'll find a heat stamp under those 3-4 coats of paint..........
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 09-01-2011 at 10:08 PM.

it looks like it's a WWII shell made by McCord judging by the shape of the fixed loops, lots of european countries used US shells , probably a surplus US shell used by another country

?

looks to me like its in relic condition that's been repainted & that's why you cant see the heat stamp number.