Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual marked P55 liner

Article about: Hi guys This liner has got me scratching my head. I know the companies involved in making liners leased out the liner presses from the US government and these often would have other makers m

Default Unusual marked P55 liner

Hi guys This liner has got me scratching my head. I know the companies involved in making liners leased out the liner presses from the US government and these often would have other makers marks on them. This is why we see Westinghouse logos with CAPAC logos, MSA marks in CAPAC/Westinghouse liners and Firestone would put there F logo over another makers logo. The liner in question has the CAPAC mold in mark that was seen on the production run between 1951 and 1954 ( I have never seen an example of this period logo mark on a P55 liner until now and I would love to see another example if anyone has one ) The numbers usually indicated the year of tooling not the manufacture year. On this liner though it has two lots of numbers 61 at the top and 53 on the bottom but on the examples I own and have seen elsewhere the number is 51 not 61. The CMC logo is situated below the CAPAC logo but on examples I have seen the 61 year is below the CMC logo but on this one it is situated in the CAPAC logo above it.
    My question would be, was this an un-pressed liner left over from the early 50s then pressed in 61 under the CMC logo or has it been pressed with a press from this period and the numbers modified at time of pressing? Sorry for waffling on but this has me stumped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual marked P55 liner  

Come'on Ian pull yourself together mate you've answered your own question in the opening statement.!and stop scratching your get splinters Lol.

To be brutally honest i don't fully understand tool heads/molds/presses etc.if you want me to try and explain i'll give it a go later tonite,but trust me its complexed.

where do you find all these amazing examples?i only have one.!

It's just because I've never seen the CAPAC mold in mark on a p55 liner before. So was wondering if it was a leftover from the early 50s pressed in the 60s or just pressed with the CAPAC press from the 50s and numbers and markings updated? Have you seen one like this before? I've bought it and it's on its way but it has another interesting item on it but will wait till it shows up and I will take some better pics of it

Ok short version-CMC acquire Capac building 1957,no ties with ww2 or korea made liners whatsoever.government lend lease 200 tonne presses from ww2 with mold and tool heads set.(these cannot be altered in anyway).once set there set.this was a lottery you used what ever presses you were given.so in 1957 CMC were given new contracts to produce m1 duck cotton m1 liners, Korean period tool heads and molds were issued and like you said they altered the top number to refer to the year while the bottom number still showing the original mold date being in this case 53.was left but in 61 the new CMC stamp was added.remember these presses originate from ww2 when no dates were added to the Capac logo,the first batches in 57 carried the Capac x mold too but they copied Westinghouse by placing an imprenated cotton stamp saying CMC and date.only in 61 they changed but this was there last production as they went broke.so yes i've seen p55 liners with Capac x with impregnated cotton but not your example,has to be rare mate,hope this has helped a bit.......

Or maybe there was a batch of liners found in surplus stocks when the building was taken over.from the 51-54 period and they simply added the 61 and CMC stamp etc.now that sounds possible,because i can't be sure if the numbers were added to the tool head or hand punched.?if hand punched then why would someone in 61 add a 53 date.?makes the mind boggle.!

Jake I knew it was rare as I have never seen the mold in mark for CAPAC apart from the ones from 1951 to 1954. My thinking on this particular press was that it was never used by other makers not even CAPAC after 1954 and was held by the US government. Maybe it was only leased out on this one production run as Westinghouse Firestone and CAPAC were all making liners at this time including paratrooper liners so maybe they were short of presses. Does this make sense what I am saying and could this be the reason why we have never seen any or could it just be that not many liners were made using this press?

I might as well tell you that the extra item on the helmet is a USMC EGA badge on the front of the liner but I don't know whether a hole has been drilled or punched through or that there is an eyelet that's why I'm thinking it maybe a leftover liner from the early 50s production run (it's probably not but you never know) Once it arrives I will examine closely and take pics

Quote by Redstalker View Post
    Jake I knew it was rare as I have never seen the mold in mark for CAPAC apart from the ones from 1951 to 1954. My thinking on this particular press was that it was never used by other makers not even CAPAC after 1954 and was held by the US government. Maybe it was only leased out on this one production run as Westinghouse Firestone and CAPAC were all making liners at this time including paratrooper liners so maybe they were short of presses. Does this make sense what I am saying and could this be the reason why we have never seen any or could it just be that not many liners were made using this press?
    Totally and logical too bud.

I think your leaving me in your wake for exotic post-war Liners,and it's simply not fair.!Boo Hoo..........

I think we stand alone on post-war M1 production as most collectors concentrate on ww2 variants.

I would like to see more interest generated within the collecting field as its such a huge area and talking point.!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast