Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Us helmet, help please!

Article about: HELLO, DOES SOMEONE OF YOU YOU KNOW IF THIS IS AN ORIGINAL HELMET FROM WW2? AND WHERE IT MIGHT BE USED, DOES IT IS FROM THE AIRBORNE? PLEASE HELP ME Thank you!

Question Us helmet, help please!

HELLO, DOES SOMEONE OF YOU YOU KNOW IF THIS IS AN ORIGINAL HELMET FROM WW2? AND WHERE IT MIGHT BE USED, DOES IT IS FROM THE AIRBORNE? PLEASE HELP ME
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Us helmet, help please!
    Thank you!

You will need to post some better photos. Straight on shot of the markings, better view of the chin strap and a front view of the liner. NH

In my opinion, even with these poor photo’s; this is not a rare original. It has been painted (some time after WWII by the looks of it) to represent the 506th parachute infantry regiment of the 101st Airborne. Most were stencilled quite neatly, and although some of these helmets were hand painted (as this appears to have been) never as poorly as this. These marks were designed to help facilitate a clean, quick, re-assembly process. This ‘spade’ is barely recognisable as such and would not have been helpful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Us helmet, help please!  

?

I quite like the crudely painted/daubed markings (imagine painting the helmets of an entire division - you’d get pretty bored after a while), though I fully agree with Chris, of course.
    A post-War replication on a once honest and historic helmet... it saddens and sickens me.

Bear in mind that the Regimental markings were an ‘addition’ to existing, used helmets. The NCO stripe would have been extant, unless he was promoted on the very day the spade was applied...
    Note, also, the presence of the original swivel bales, rather than the correctly modified D-bales.

Funny how it’s only the 506th helmets that seem to have survived in abundance...

Best regards,
    Bob