Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Helmet please help Identify!

Article about: Hi, my husband bought this helmet quite a few years ago as a us world war II helmet I recently came across it clearing out the cupboard and have become interested in finding out a bit more a

Jennifer Godfrey
    ?

Default US Helmet please help Identify!

Hi, my husband bought this helmet quite a few years ago as a us world war II helmet
    I recently came across it clearing out the cupboard and have become interested in finding out a bit more about it. I have tried to research and feel that it may not be WWII, although some research makes me think the liner is not and the shell is, I'm not sure so looking for some expert advice. I have been interested in the name stamped on the back but just cannot make out the first name, obviously the "Finch" is a nickname. I wonder if the number inside the shell means anything and I think I can make out the shell number as 1266? Please help thank you.
    US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!US Helmet please help Identify!

Kind of hard to tell from the photos... But if the steel shell has a seam on the front of it's rolled edge, then it is originally a WWII shell. However, the color of the shell and the post WWII liner and chinstrap (WWII chinstraps were sewn on) means this was probably refurbished and used into Vietnam and beyond.

?

Jennifer,
    That type of chinstrap came out in the 1970s. The liner dates from the 1960s or later. It isn't likely that any part of this dates from WWII.

I agree with gitana:
    Looks to me like a post WWII rear seam swivel loop shell that has been repainted.
    It also has late 70s early 80s chinstraps attached.
    The liner looks like it could be Vietnam era (60s-70s).

Glad that you took the time to find out more about it! I actually really like this helmet. The stenciling, various component dates of manufacture, and color make for a unique helmet.

I believe the white stenciling spells out "ANDERSON".

I think that "SMITH" is his last name, and "ANDERSON" is his middle. I've only found bits of various persons named ------ Anderson Smith, but the times of their service are somewhat inconsistent with the helmet's date (early 70s because of strap).

I've found this in the Library of Congress website: Kenneth Anderson Finch Collection: Veterans History Project (American Folklife Center, Library of Congress) To be honest, I really don't know how they've organized the information. It lists one "Kenneth Anderson Finch" and tells where he was born, but under is described 2 different people. One in the navy post-WW2. Most helmet stenciling I've seen comes from navy helmets, but the only part matching up with that is the pot.

The other served during the right time period, but was in the Air Force.

There is also the possibility of the helmet being put together piece-by-piece by someone who wasn't issued the pot, but there's really no way to tell.

That seems to be kind of a leap to me to say it is the same soldier.
    With such little info it is hard to really link the helmet to a particular soldier.
    Maybe his name was Fitch Anderson or Anderson Finch (without the Kenneth).
    Who can really say for sure.

Pointless thread for a newbie seeking info.......posted 8 days ago and hasn't had the common courtesy to respond.........

im really not sure on the shell what time period its from but would agree its been reissued ,the liner looks to be a ground troops post 1964 ,its missing its nape strap but shouldnt be to hard to find a replacement ,the chinstrap is from the final version of the m1 issued in 1975 onwards ,i believe the chin area of the strap was a design carried on through to the composite pasgt helmet

You can tell that the shell is post war because the rim is magnesium.
    If it was stainless some of the paint would have peeled off and it would shine through.
    The liner is clearly Vietnam or later.
    It really has no collector value due to its poor condition and the added chin straps from the 80s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast