Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?

Article about: I have had this lid in my collection for the longest time, but I have never known for sure exactly when it was from. It is a rear seam, swivel bale shell with the original cork and paint sti

Default US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?

I have had this lid in my collection for the longest time, but I have never known for sure exactly when it was from.
    It is a rear seam, swivel bale shell with the original cork and paint still applied. This means that it is at the very least post-1944.
    However, It does not have the texture or shape of a Vietnam helmet. Helmets like these were used in the Korean War as well, but to the best of my knowledge, Korean War M-1s were all from WW2.
    There is a heat stamp of '9791' in the forehead region of the interior of the shell, but I'm not sure if this means anything.

If anyone could help me with this, please do!!

Thanks,
    Finn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?   US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?  

US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?   US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?  

US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?   US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?  

Default Re: US M-1 Helmet shell- World War Two or Vietnam?

Vietnam or later.....

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Vietnam or later.....
    Could you please explain why you think this...?

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    Could you please explain why you think this...?
    Shape of the shell looks to be a "low" dome which are post Korean mfr as well as the heat stamp is a much later number. Someone here might be able to give you a closer date, based on their experiance with the heat stamp, there is no published heat stamp chart that goes beyond WWII to my knowlage.

Russ

shell made by last contractor for production of the M1 helmet 1970-1976.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    shell made by last contractor for production of the M1 helmet 1970-1976.
    Thank-you for the clarification!!