Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US M1 Got The Blues Need Advice Before Tampering

Article about: well unless you were visiting Serling Massachusetts USA it wasnt the same helmet....i paid \\$45.00 for it at a little church auction. Unfortunately Im still left high and dry on this one....s

Default US M1 Got The Blues Need Advice Before Tampering

Hi Folks, I recently picked up this m1 at auction. I was really after the sweatband that was in it. (not the one in the photo) It was an early khaki type in a Korean era liner. So the liner is the capac type with a Westinghouse stamp. Under the thin layer of blue paint i can see a laundry number and also "in 8-20-53 out 2-20-_ _". The helmet is a front seam swivel bail 989A. So i got the sweatband...but id like to do something with the rest of the helmet. Before i do anything i wanted to make sure its not something that should be left alone or a candidate for restoration.Has anyone ever seen a helmet painted in this blinding blue? Its to dark for UN. The helmet is smooth. The helmets in great shape so I was thinking id like to restore it for a display helmet . chime in !!

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Got The Blues  Need Advice Before Tampering   US M1 Got The Blues  Need Advice Before Tampering  

US M1 Got The Blues  Need Advice Before Tampering   US M1 Got The Blues  Need Advice Before Tampering  

Default Re: US M1 Got The Blues Need Advice Before Tampering

The outer shell looks like it may have seen use in the US Navy,
    but you're right - the inside and liner are blinding.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Could it possibly be UN? I have a M1 with a UN liner that looks almost the same color as yours.

All the best,
    Stefan

nice helmet looks us navy to me IMO but could have been repainted but anyone i guess,is it front seam or rear seam just wondering ? cheers

?

I would say the paint on the outer pot looks to be Navy. The inside of the pot and the liner have been repainted, but when? Does it smell of paint inside the pot?
    The US Navy were notorious for painting these with any shade of blue that was to hand, and there are wild variations of colour out there.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    I would say the paint on the outer pot looks to be Navy. The inside of the pot and the liner have been repainted, but when? Does it smell of paint inside the pot?
    The US Navy were notorious for painting these with any shade of blue that was to hand, and there are wild variations of colour out there.

Best Regards,

Andy
    There is no paint smell. I can see hints of the "Blinding blue" to the outer shell as well. I think the entire helmet was painted this blue at one time and the outer shell is weathered. Whats strange is the outer shell is so worn but the inside of the shell and ouside of liner show very little wear or abrasions ??? The helmet is a front seam......so the jury is still out.....am i leaving it alone ??

dont navy shells have a decent amout of rust most of the time too andy ? cheers

?

Not always!

Go Navy! (link)

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

those are yours !! those are so nice ! .and thanks for pointing that out i just thought since its around salt water it would be a rusty pot but from looking at yours thats not the case at all .cheers

This helmet looks exactly like the one I missed to bid on a few weeks ago, due to internet connection problems. Mike you lucky b..... I would have bid alot more than you got it for

Cheers!
    Mads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast