Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Helmet

Article about: Hi y'all. I've had this US M1 Helmet around for a long time. My dad brought this one back with him from the Pacific (USN 1944-1946), along with a whole bunch of stuff my brother and I manage

Default US M1 Helmet

Hi y'all. I've had this US M1 Helmet around for a long time. My dad brought this one back with him from the Pacific (USN 1944-1946), along with a whole bunch of stuff my brother and I managed to lose or destroy while growing up. This helmet has been painted silver, gold and black back in the 1960's. We treated them as toys because they were so common to us then. Little did we know. Anyway, a few years ago I covered the childhood painting in OD green. It is a swivel bale, McCord helmet with front seam. The heat treatment number is 1073D.
    The liner was made by Firestone, and under the shield are the numbers '22'. The leather chin strap is long gone. The name 'Dobbs' is on the liner on one side, and my Dads' last name is on the other side. It'll make a good display, anyway.

US M1 HelmetUS M1 HelmetUS M1 HelmetUS M1 HelmetUS M1 HelmetUS M1 HelmetUS M1 Helmet

Another little piece of history.
    Last edited by roger9344; 01-13-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: add information

Default Re: US M1 Helmet

It will make a fine display ! Even restored, it's nice to have
    a WWII souvenir passed down from Dad..............!

You can find a NOS leather chinstrap and a nape strap
    for this helmet on-line or from E-bay.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Rog,
    Like Walkwolf said, It's nice having militaria passed down though family members, It's just to bad in my case, I was just to young and didn't understand the future historic value of keeping nice helmets and other things intact, I can remeber running around the neighborhood as a kid with U.S. and German helmets playing battle of the bulge on snowy days, LOL An uncle gave me an SS Dagger arm bands, medals and a german Helmet that was so big, I could only see to walk by looking down at my sneakers, What a shame all that stuff was lost, along with all my fathers WW1 style Cast iron army soldiers, there were 2 wooden crates with about 30 pounds of soldiers in them. I could cry... Your helmet story reminded me of all this, And I am glad you were smart enough to save your dads helmet. BTW that helmet looks great for going through 2 wars, His and Yours lol jp

If we had known then what we know now . . .
    I'm surprised the helmet survived. I'm getting what medals and ribbons he has left and will make a little display with his picture. All too many of our veterans are leaving us, and their legacy is not remembered. Many have no family, and others have family that don't respect the memory. It is incumbent upon us to pass that respect on, because without them we would not have the lives we now live.

does this helmet have the T-1 Chinstrap buckle missing the quick release ball hinge?...if so,it couldnt have been a WW II bring back as the T-1 Chinstrap development was from late 44-45 and not issued in any quantity that i know of except for the Korean War...