Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

US M1 Helmet - WW2: Fixed Bale, Front Seam, McCord, Westinghouse Liner

Article about: Received my first WW2 helmet today, this US M1 early example McCord with a front seam, fixed bales, and a really nice condition Westinghouse liner. I believe the buckle on the canvas (?) str

Default US M1 Helmet - WW2: Fixed Bale, Front Seam, McCord, Westinghouse Liner

Received my first WW2 helmet today, this US M1 early example McCord with a front seam, fixed bales, and a really nice condition Westinghouse liner. I believe the buckle on the canvas (?) strap is the very early cast type brass, which if I remember right predates the raised bar brass buckle? There are no maker marks that I can see on the rivets on the leather strap. The batch is 211C. There are just a couple of minor stress cracks to the rear of the shell, as is typical. Thanks to Jake for sending me over to where this one was being sold!

There is a name, faintly written on the leather strap. It merely say "Sam D."

The photos speak for themselves, though on the last one I wanted to get your opinions on the paint runs/smears on the inside of the shell. Would this be just Monday morning work, or is it indicative of some sort of repaint?

Hope you all like this one.

One of the paint run/smear areas on the inside of the helmet shell:

Last edited by avenger; 04-02-2015 at 01:22 AM.

A very nice M1 pot. The smear might have been from
    where/what the helmet was resting on as it dried ?
    Looks all original IMO.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Nothing wrong on This rig-is about as textbook fine as a person could ask for. Well done!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Having a closer look at the interior, it may have
    been touched up. Some helmets are a bit rusty
    inside and the rust can transfer to the liner.

Your pics seem to show true colour, and the
    inside looks like one of two military vehicle
    paint shades available today.

Still a cool helmet though.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Great helmet, I'm with Steve on the shell interior

Hi Steve. Thanks for the comments! Are you thinking the entire inside of the shell was repainted, or just these spots? The runs and smears are in various spots over the inside of the shell, but not to the extent of the one I posted a photo of. I can't imagine a collector being responsible for this, and the inside of the shell is very, very musky smelling, almost enough to give a person a headache. There wasn't much oder until I took the liner out, and then it was strong. If the inside of the shell was repainted, would the liner have been repainted too?

Looks like the crown has been painted and up the
    sides just before they flare out. Can you see any
    tape lines/masked off areas ? I believe the liner
    is untouched.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Not a single tape line. I can see where the paint is darker outside of where the liner sits too, leaving a color change line exactly where the edge of the liner sits inside the shell, so that liner has been in this helmet a very long time. Long enough that the paint under it has aged differently.

I wonder if the stainless steel rim had some touch up too. On the 8th picture down, where I'm showing the brass buckle on the chinstrap at the looped over the rear of the helmet, you can see where some of the paint is a little darker and glossier than the rest around the rim. I think I've read where they would repaint these after they started to wear, to try to cover back up the shine of the stainless steel. I wonder if this one that had some field touch up?

Well Scott it is an amazing Helmet overall,the original olive drab paint and cork is in fine condition,point to note how the chinstraps reach round the back,none of mine do,but regarding that last image (the touch up) i don't recall seeing that on the original dealers site,I know its on the inside and can't be seen when the liner is in place,but I do think it should have been mentioned,but then again that doesn't really detract from still being a great looking early Lid,if your not worried then everything is ok,I feel a bit gutted as I sent you there.

Hi Jake. I would only be really bothered with it if it were apparent a collector or someone has been jacking with it, changing it, trying to make it more valuable, or otherwise obliterating its value through ill advised attempts to "fix" or alter it. The price wasn't a bargain on this one as you know, so a major value loss would be pretty disappointing. I know just enough about these to pick out some correct features. But, something like this is outside my expertise to know if this is a big deal, or a small deal when considering collector value. What do you think? If it's a major concern, I can still send it back.

P.S. I still appreciate the help in finding it. I don't think the seller had photos of the inside of the shell, but the listing is down now, so we'll never know. No worries though, this is still closer than I've been able to get to 100% original thus far, and it can always go back if needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast