Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

US M1 Helmet - WW2: Fixed Bale, Front Seam, McCord, Westinghouse Liner

Article about: Received my first WW2 helmet today, this US M1 early example McCord with a front seam, fixed bales, and a really nice condition Westinghouse liner. I believe the buckle on the canvas (?) str

Just a few more shots inside the shell in natural brighter light, indoors and out in direct sun to add to this post for any future reference. I feel pretty good that the inner paint may in fact be original. In any case, I think I'll keep and enjoy this helmet. I wish I were the artifact whisperer. This would be the first thing I'd grab to see what it saw. If only these things could talk, it could have been anywhere!

Just a shot of the strap stitching I forgot to take in my first round of photos I posted.

I honestly don't see anything to be disappointed with on this helmet. It looks like a decent original piece that should fit into any collection. A person can play the "this speck" and "that spot" thing for as long as they want to, but it really doesn't change the fact that it's a nice helmet that, no doubt, has some interesting History to it and where it's been. I wouldn't worry about it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agreed. I'm keeping the helmet. Thanks for all the comments guys. You guys rock!

This calls for a candid shot! I give you The Terminator 1942: He'll be back, but the Nazi's won't.

Personally it would bother me that someone touched up the inside of the helmet if it is NOT a factory overspray.
    If it is a factory overspray then I wouldn't care because it would be original.
    Either way it is a nice helmet rig.

Bought a little accessory for this helmet today.

I took a bit of a chance on this when I came across it, not being 100% sure it was a WWII net. It has a draw string that pulls it tight and lets it stuff into the liner between the shell, which I think was pretty textbook for these. The photos make the net look more tan than it is. It's actually a shade of olive green color like the helmet.

Did I find a good WWII net here? Also, should these not stay on the helmet to prevent any damage over the years like with the chinstrap, or are they okay to leave on? Thanks all!

MAP
    ?

Love these nets! They really complete a helmet. I have a British net that I put on my M1 but it does not have the drawstring and it nearly impossible to get on correctly.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It does look nice on it. The drawstring makes a huge difference. I was trying to figure out how in the world to get it to go on right, and as you pull the string it starts to go on like a glove. Here are the seller pics that show it off the helmet:

US M1 Helmet - WW2: Fixed Bale, Front Seam, McCord, Westinghouse LinerUS M1 Helmet - WW2: Fixed Bale, Front Seam, McCord, Westinghouse Liner

MAP
    ?

Nice. Does he have more?

Sure others will be around to help confirm authenticity. But it looks great either way.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I can't see a problem keeping the net on for extended periods - you protect the shell paint when you place it down

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3