Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Korean War era?

Article about: Hello all, I have just picked this US made shell and liner as a 'Korean War era M1'. The shell is a rear seam swivel bale. There is no chinstraps. The texture appears finer than WWII era exa

Default US M1 Korean War era?

Hello all,

I have just picked this US made shell and liner as a 'Korean War era M1'. The shell is a rear seam swivel bale. There is no chinstraps. The texture appears finer than WWII era examples I have. The paint seams to be original and is what I believe is pre-Vietnam era OD. The liner is a Westinghouse/Capac 51 with post WWII webbing.

The liner is definitely correct for Korean war era - I am not yet convinced about the shell. Any opinions are very welcome! Thanks

Kind regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Korean War era?   US M1 Korean War era?  

US M1 Korean War era?  

Sorry to say its impossible to tell from these pics,need some taken in natural light,also the heat stamp will tell you weather its ww2 or postwar production........Jake.

Westinghouse/CAPAC are KW era liners.
    Interesting that it is not painted.
    In my experience that means it was a Civil Defense helmet that a collector has stripped.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Sorry to say its impossible to tell from these pics,need some taken in natural light,also the heat stamp will tell you weather its ww2 or postwar production........Jake.
    Thank you for your reply.

I realise the pics are not the best, my camera is a bit old. Hopefully these pics (taken with no flash) can help a bit.

Regarding the stamp, I can not make one out, there are so many scratches around the inner rim, I am not sure if it is just illegible or not there at all. Thanks again

Kind regards,
    Chris

P.S a click on these pics brings up a much better resolution pic. May be of more help. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Korean War era?   US M1 Korean War era?  

Last edited by christek; 08-21-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Westinghouse/CAPAC are KW era liners.
    Interesting that it is not painted.
    In my experience that means it was a Civil Defense helmet that a collector has stripped.
    Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I am under the assumption that the liner was stripped. I must say as a display piece, I quite like the stripped look.

Kind regards,
    Chris

They do look kinda cool with no paint.