Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US M1C airborne helmet chin strap length

Article about: Hi, I have recently acquired a like new M1C helmet. The steel pot right chin strap is 10 inches long from flexible bale to endkeeper so when the left strap is cliped strap cannot be setted o

Default US M1C airborne helmet chin strap length

Hi,
    I have recently acquired a like new M1C helmet. The steel pot right chin strap is 10 inches long from flexible bale to endkeeper so when the left strap is cliped strap cannot be setted on the rear of the shell.
    I noticed than 2 others originals M1C helmet which were sold by other sellers have the same length.
    I own an early manufacturing M1 helmet which also have the same strap length. I though than at mid war chin strap length was extended to allow soldiers to put the straps at the rear of shell.
    My question is : is it right for a 1944/45 M1C right chin strap to measure 10 inches ?

Default Re: US M1C airborne helmet chin strap length

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I noticed you hadn’t had a reply, so i thought I would welcome you.
    In all honesty I don’t think many of us have an M1C including me, that’s why you probably haven’t had a reply we aren’t being ignorant.
    I know its not the answer to your question but my M2 chin strap is also 10” long.
    Hope you find your answer somewhere
    All the best
    Rod

?

I've soaked straps and stretched them while wet to fit around the back of the helmet, Ray

Thanks for your answers Rod and Ray,

I asked the same question on a french M1 helmet specialized forum and it seems every M1C helmet produced since the fall of 1944 have 10 inches lonc right chin strap.

The method used by Ray is interesting but I don't think it will be enough to get the leaking 2 inches.

The amazing thing is mostly GI seen on pics wear there chin strap on the rear of their helmet !!!!!

?

It works. Go to pgs 21 and 22 of my collection and see the fixed bale helmets with the straps in back. The straps will stretch that much when wet, Ray
    My mannequin displays - U.S. Militaria Forum

OK Ray,

My 2 helmets are like new so I think 10 inches is the normal length and as you say stars may stretch when used.
    I have got the answer at my question and I won't try to do anything with my helmets' straps. I'll let them quiet.

Bernard

?

i personally would not put any stress on these straps as over time they can cause irreversible damage if they don't reach around the back then don't force it !!!

?

Although mine have been behind the backs of the helmets for many years without any problems however everyone should do what they feel comfortable with. Ray

M1C helmets are rares and very expensives. I waited a long time before finding mine. It is like new and I'll keep it like it is. Perhaps the next will show some use and it's straps will be as long as to permit them to get at the rear of the helmet.
    I was surprised with the 10 inches long straps and I wanted to be sure they haven't be shortened. Fortunally they have a good length.
    Regards