Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

US Navy Mk II talker helmet

Article about: Not an M-1 in the strictest sense so if a mod would like it moved please feel free to do so. I have been on the hunt for an example of the M-2 for some time now to add to my collection in kh

?

Default US Navy Mk II talker helmet

Not an M-1 in the strictest sense so if a mod would like it moved please feel free to do so.
    I have been on the hunt for an example of the M-2 for some time now to add to my collection in khaki green and this particular example shows just the right amount of wear and has a nice aged patina about it the interior of the shell is nicely ink marked IMO the radio equipment does look to be period correct from the images I have seen but while inspecting the photos last night it would appear that the headphone cross strap is indeed looks to be missing .
    The M-2 was designed in 1942 and was manufactured by the McCords Radiator Company in Detroit Michigan the helmet body was constructed of non-magnetic Hadefield manganese steel while the rim was produced from a separate piece of magnetic steel as best I can tell the helmet bodies were factory painted in two different colors the first being a khaki green and the other as best I can tell has been identified as sea blue much like there distant cousin the M-1 cork was applied with in the paint to provide a textured finish.the latter of the two being harder to source.
    The liner is non-removable and is glued into the interior helmet body they were produced by Firestone and B.F. Goodrich and is comprised of a vinyl rubber material the padding is very thick and semi-flexible.
    One can easily make out the channel in the liner that crosses the helmet body from side to side this provides ample clearance to accommodate the wearing of headphones designed for Radiomen and or anyone using shipboard sound-powered phones
    The wire clips that hold the leather chin bales in place were produced with brass as it offers some protection from the corrosive nature of salt water and or performing ones duties aboard ship.
    The chinstrap was produced of horse leather and the slider-buckles are made of non-corrosive aluminum the chincup has had a layer chamois leather added to it to offer a little more comfort to the wearer .
    I am far from being an expert on these so any addition thoughts and or comments are most welcome.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy Mk II talker helmet   US Navy Mk II talker helmet  

US Navy Mk II talker helmet   US Navy Mk II talker helmet  

Last edited by Mark K; 07-01-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Very nice Mark and thanks for posting it, bet you cant wait till it arrives.

Matt

?

Hi Matt thanks I will post up a few new images upon its arrival and use some of my other US Navy items in the background It will fit in well with my helmet collection.

Regards Mark

MAP
    ?

Nice set up.

From what I have heard, these were oft unloved in the collectors community for a long time but are now making a comeback. Could be wrong on this...

Sure these take up a huge amount of shelf space...LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great looking lid mark and not one im familiar with to be honest ,the inner padding is unusual but i imagine effective when used in conjunction with the chincup ,my initial first look at the profile brought to mind the us nam period cvc helmet ,thanks for showing james

?

Thanx James I think they are a rather interesting helmet and as mentioned by Michael earlier were often overlooked and frowned upon by many a collector but IMO the have earned there place in history and have had a long service life in the US and abroad.

Regards Mark