Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

us style steel helmet

Article about: Hi all ,looking for help identifying this hemet found it on a rubbish tip confussed about rivet holes around the side ,many thanks

?

Question us style steel helmet

Hi all ,looking for help identifying this hemet found it on a rubbish tip confussed about rivet holes around the side ,many thanks

us style steel helmetus style steel helmetus style steel helmetus style steel helmetus style steel helmetus style steel helmet

I would say West German M60 shell the early type that had the liner directly riveted to the shell ...hence the holes...also the chinstrap fixing points (square rust marks on the two sides and no separate inner liner like the M1 it resembled)

?

Thanks for the info, can i buy a liner to finish the helmet, cheers

?

If i replaced the chin strap fixing points could i use a m1 style liner to finish the helmet

?

Cant find any pictures of west german m-60 with nine rivet holes, two for the chin strap and seven others around the helmet , any ideas

This particular M60 has been factory modified to fit the three point chinstrap as was the norm in the 80's hence the extra hole in the centre of the rear valence..

Bundeswehr steel helmets.

see the above thread as it has pretty much all the info on said helmets and a few other types too!!

?

Can i get the liner for this helmet and fit it myself ?

The thing is yes!!.... you could!!... but I would say the problem would mostly be, could you find the correct type liner to fit!!?? as the early type M60 first or second type liners as fitted to these M60 helmets are fairly hard to find.. and or most seem to have been "raided" out only to be advertised as RARE WW II German liner!! with a price to match!! That.... I would hazard a guess..and the place, condition you found this one in..... would have possibly been this examples fate!! but realistically a good complete one still wouldn't be that expensive in todays market.... so unless you really want a project?? you would probably be better off finding one of those!!???
    if you decide to tackle the restoration ...I wish you all the luck!!
    and hope that you would post the finished article here..

i agree with paul ,it would be easier to find a similar complete example than to try and find a replacement liner for this shell ,its hard to make suggestions on what to do with this bare shell other than to display it for what it is ,i know of no original spare blanking rivits that would make this a half decent shelf display as it stands ,you could just add a west german tarnetz over the erdl cover you show to make it more visually pleasing to the eye