Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Usaf m1

Article about: Hi fellow collectors I thought I would share this Airman M1 with you for discussion. The shell is a rear seam heat stamped 126A and is missing some of the rim this is matched to a Korean War

?

Default Usaf m1

Hi fellow collectors I thought I would share this Airman M1 with you for discussion. The shell is a rear seam heat stamped 126A and is missing some of the rim this is matched to a Korean War era Westinghouse/Capac Liner which is marked with David Miller and then some of his serial number. The chinstraps appear to Vietnam era but are not marked with an Anchor etc. Bit of a mix and match I would welcome any comments and discussions,thanks for looking Opex.

Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1
    Usaf m1

Opex (wish I knew your real name?)anyway down to business the shell heatstamp has a lightly stamped 4 between the 6 and the A so its 1264A so very late war McCord with nice corking,now many are quick to assume that when a shell has been repainted in a semi-gloss darker green they say oh its a Korean repaint,but I dont think thats always the case,many Helmets were repainted with vechicle paint,hard to tell the true liner colour being taken in doors but a nice condition 1953 Capac with the more common Black A washers,the chinstraps are North & Judd as per 1968 regs without the Anchor as they were under new Admin,even though half the rim is missing I think it has a really nice look about it and again well done and thanks for showing mate.............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    the shell heatstamp has a lightly stamped 4 between the 6 and the A so its 1264A so very late war McCord
    The low heat stamp and the rear seam were confusing me until you pointed that out

Regards,
    Chris

I thought like you Chris with regards to the heatstamp,I did think at first that someone had taken the remainder of the rim off and replaced it back to front making it look like a rear seam but having seen the 4 that kinda put me straight.............

?

Opex (wish I knew your real name?)anyway down to business the shell heatstamp has a lightly stamped 4 between the 6 and the A so its 1264A so very late war McCord with nice corking,now many are quick to assume that when a shell has been repainted in a semi-gloss darker green they say oh its a Korean repaint,but I dont think thats always the case,many Helmets were repainted with vechicle paint,hard to tell the true liner colour being taken in doors but a nice condition 1953 Capac with the more common Black A washers,the chinstraps are North & Judd as per 1968 regs without the Anchor as they were under new Admin,even though half the rim is missing I think it has a really nice look about it and again well done and thanks for showing mate.............
    Hi Jake, many thanks for the comments and advice as ever, the colour of the liner is definetely not correct and has sort of a "lime Green" colour compared to similar dated liners in my collection, I can always take another picture outside ( if we ever get any sunlight), I am especially pleased to find out about the maker of the chinstrap,that had me puzzled for a few years now. I was also thrown by the apparent low number and it being rear seam, well spotted it was not until I had another look at the picture of the heat stamp I realised there was a 4 there!! My old eyes are letting me down there I am afraid.

I am puzzled by the mark on the rear of the shell which looks like two swirls, but I guess that could a personalised marking rather than anything significant..I dunno?

BTW,my name is Gary!

Thanks again mate,most welcomed input as ever.

Opex,or perhaps Gary

- - ------- - -

Quote by christek View Post
    The low heat stamp and the rear seam were confusing me until you pointed that out

Regards,
    Chris

Thanks for looking Chris,and me too

Its always a pleasure Gary when you display one of your never ending collectible pieces,I never grow tired of given them the once over,nice to know a fellow collector that shares the same kinda passion as I do,nice to hear from you as always..........

?

I like this helmet the painting on the front looks great this inter ww2 and Vietnam transitional Air Force period items are always cool to see

?

Its always a pleasure Gary when you display one of your never ending collectible pieces,I never grow tired of given them the once over,nice to know a fellow collector that shares the same kinda passion as I do,nice to hear from you as always..........
    No worries Jake, I have a few more M1's to show, but am trying to avoid the "run of the mill" types, M1 helmets are a real passion to me but one that sadly my wallet does not appreciate, I can remember really not all that long ago when I was able to pick up a fairly decent complete M1 for the price of a pint or three, tragically those day's are gone. But as long as I can show and converse with like minded people that makes it allright, thanks mate

?

Quote by gel65 View Post
    I like this helmet the painting on the front looks great this inter ww2 and Vietnam transitional Air Force period items are always cool to see
    Many thanks for the compliment and for looking, I do not own many "painted" M1's , so it's a pleasure to show this one and receive positive comments,thanks again it's most appreciated