Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

USMC M1 helmet cover

Article about: Hi guys picked up this helmet cover a few weeks ago just posting up for show. This one is not WW2 and was manufactured by Blue Anchor Overall Company in April 1953 as existing WW2 stocks had

Quote by anton67 View Post
    I would like to find a Mitchel pattern cover with a diamond EGA patch.

I am not sure if they are real or just a fantasy piece.
    Have you ever seen photos of them being used?
    I have not.
    no I haven't came across any images. and I have often wounded if they are. but they do pop up from time to time. its a hard one?

here's my 4 USMC helmet covers.
    top ww2, bottom left 1950s made next to that one, ww2 cover with post war diamond patch and next to that one 1959 USMC Mitchel pattern cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet cover  

To: Redstalker
    You found a photo of one in somebody's collection.
    What I am saying is that I never saw a period photo of a GI wearing one.
    I may be wrong about this but I personally never saw such a photo.
    I would like to see one to prove me wrong as they look cool but I am still wondering whether they are a fantasy piece made by a collector.

the ink stamps are still for sale too. there is also Mitchel pattern cover out there just with the stamp too. I remember seeing leather neck magazine from the 50s having the diamond patch's in them. for the helmet covers

To geelong,
    Nice helmets and covers.
    I used to have an example of every cover.
    I ended up selling most of them off.
    I still have:
    3 1953 blue anchor helmets with covers
    1 WWII USMC (1st or 3rd pattern depending on the school of thought you subscribe to NO HOLES) helmet and cover
    1 WWII USMC shore party cover
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet cover   USMC M1 helmet cover  

USMC M1 helmet cover  
    Attached Images Attached Images USMC M1 helmet cover 

You mean this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet cover  

nice covers Anton67. thanks for sharing. yes that is the magazine the diamond patches were for sale I think to be applied to your helmet cover this was before the Mitchel pattern cover tho.

1956 publication it says about the diamond ega patch for USMC helmet covers. had to look up one of my old posts

Very nice Ian,i have to admit i've never owned a USMC HBT cover guess there's always hope Lol,probably right about being too late for Korea,these are the only known postwar made covers of this type,looks great Bud.......

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    these are the only known postwar made covers of this type,looks great Bud.......
    Technically, that's not true.

There is a frogskin cover that bears the same style, stamped contract #, as those found on 1960's Mitchell covers.

Several have turned up over the years. Unsure as to their origins, but they are out there.

More reading/photos at the links below:

Interesting Frog Skin Cover on Ebay - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

USMC "Frogskin" Cover with 1964 "Leaf" Contract Marking - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast