Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War

Article about: Here I have an interesting M1 helmet. The helmet itself is a McCord manufactured helmet with a stamp number of M 184A so made during the Korean War. It appears to have been repainted at some

Default USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War

Here I have an interesting M1 helmet. The helmet itself is a McCord manufactured helmet with a stamp number of M 184A so made during the Korean War. It appears to have been repainted at some time in its life but still looks like the colour used during the Korean War. The liner is a CAPAC of which type I have never come across before. The CAPAC logo (which was stamped into the dome in earlier versions) is very faded and is of the type you see in the Westinghouse micarta labels that are inlaid into the helmet mould. I am unable to make out the year on this label but I do know these helmet liners were manufactured between 1957 to 1961. The nape strap also has a 1957 manufacturing date and the helmet liner headband is a late 1950's due to the contract number. The Mitchell helmet cover is USMC with the manufacturing date 12-10-59. This is the first version of the Mitchell helmet cover to be produced. The only thing missing off this M1 is the leather liner strap and I am looking to find a nice old used one to compliment this nice pre Vietnam war helmet. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War   USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War  

USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War   USMC M1 helmet pre Vietnam War  

Fantastic setup Ian,got a pic of the molding Capac stamp please bud,awesome steel pot with bags of character,well done..........

Hi Jake the CAPAC tag is shown in the 6th picture and is very faded. There is no CAPAC stamp in the crown only the number 24 stamped in. From what I have read tags were molded into the the liner just like the Westinghouse micarta made liners. I presume you have Reynosa's book on post WW2 helmets read pages 34 to 37 and it explains in detail about this types of CAPAC liners. I have never seen one before or since I purchased this model. I could tell it was a CAPAC by the colour and when I questioned the seller about a mold stamp in the crown he said it didn't have one. So I took a punt and went for it. If you need any more pics let me know mate

Ian these Capac Liners known as the model 55 type were produced between 1956-61 but these Liners were made by CMC,the Capac manufacturing Company and had NO ties with the Capac ww2/KW made cotton Liners other than they purchased the plant/tools/molds etc,thats why they used the cotton imprenated stamp like Westinghouse,however in there last year of production which was 1961 they changed to stamping the CMC in the crown instead of the cotton stamp,but they failed to complete this final contract due to liquidation,and subsequently went bust.these Liners are less common than the latter Firestone/Marmac's produced in 1962,basically all 50's dated p55 Liner's are quite rare when compared to there ww2 counterparts,even thou they don't show that in there sales figure's but personally i would find it extremely difficult to be able to collect the entire p55 set.no wonder most stick to ww2 examples.keep the Marine supply 59 dated safe as they are seriously sort after.

Thanks Jake

Love that cover! The liner hardware is starting to go bad. I have somewhat reversed this type of damage before with a application of some gun oil (carefully with a small paintbrush).