Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam american helmets

Article about: Good evening !! This is my first post and hope many more to come. Can anyone help me how to identify a genuine american Vietnam helmet. ? What would i look for for the basic beginner ? Hope

Default Vietnam american helmets

Good evening !!

This is my first post and hope many more to come.

Can anyone help me how to identify a genuine american Vietnam helmet. ?
    What would i look for for the basic beginner ?

Hope to hear from people soon

?

Default Re: Vietnam american helmets

hi & welcome

if you have a good look around the M-1 sub forum you'll a few threads om Nam era helmets

Another named Nam era M-1

Vietnam era 1st Army M-1

Named Vietnam era M-1

My new VN era airborne M-1C

just a few

Thanks !!

They were a massive help, i will put a few pictures up as im still unsure about one of my helmets, as it does not have a rear seam or a front seam does this mean it is not a Vietnam edition ?

NCA
    ?

American helmets had a long service life for a start.Helmets made in 40's were still issued into Vietnam and beyond.There are so many things to look out for i dont know where to start!Can i suggest the sticky threads in US helmet section on here.NickD has done some great guides on what to look for.
    Are you after one that 'been there' or a put together representative example?
    Be careful of 'euroclones', them being M1 type helmets that were issued to Belgian, Danish countries ect..(like most you see on Ebay!).Better still if you see one you like post it here and get some sound advice.
    Welcome by the way!

Hi Ross, welcome to the forum!

The U.S. M1 helmet was used from WWII up until the 80's, when it was replaced by the kevlar helmet. Helmets used in Vietnam included a mix of WWII-era refurbished shells and M1 helmets of 60's manufacture.

Some signs of a Vietnam War-era helmet include the following:

A lower profile compared to WWII-era shells
    Rear seam, instead of front seam (There is a band of metal that runs around the edge of the helmet. It comes together at a seam. The manufacture specifications changed in October of 1944, so that all helmets produced from then were rear-seam helmets. So, a front seam M1 is definitely WWII manufacture, whereas a rear seam could have been made from late 1944 onwards.)
    Usually light or 'jungle' green paint with a sand texture (WWII-era shells have a cork texture.)

Vietnam-War manufacture helmets will all be swivel bale, and they all had dark green chinstraps with metal clips attached to the bales. WWII-era (or sometimes even Vietnam-era refurbished) helmets will have fixed or swivel bales, as well as khaki-colored chinstraps that are sewn directly onto the bales.

Liners will also be much different from WWII-era ones. WWII-era examples have a variety of suspensions, but the most common type is a pressed liner with a khaki-colored suspension. Vietnam War-era examples will usually have a dark green suspension, with very wide straps.

I have no pictures to show you from this computer, but someone else should be able to give you an illustration soon. If not, I will provide you with one tonight.

Hope this helps,
    Mo

?

i guess this is what could be seen as a typical type of NAM era M-1 set up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam american helmets   Vietnam american helmets  

Vietnam american helmets   Vietnam american helmets  

Vietnam american helmets  

Below are the two sides of the cover side by side.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam american helmets  
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Ross welcome to the forum. If you could post some pictures, I'm sure getting the helmets ID'd would be a piece of cake.

Love the ace there Steve.

Nitram

4md
    ?

Quote by Ross Woolgar View Post
    Thanks !!

They were a massive help, i will put a few pictures up as im still unsure about one of my helmets, as it does not have a rear seam or a front seam does this mean it is not a Vietnam edition ?

no rear seam or front seam?? , post some photos havnt seen that before

heres my vietnam era helmet i put together with original parts. the liner is the od green earlier type with the drawstring in the centre, it is dated 1963 if i recall.

welcome to the forum
    regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam american helmets   Vietnam american helmets  

Vietnam american helmets  
    Attached Images Attached Images Vietnam american helmets 

Will post pictures asap

And thanks for all the help : )