Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam camouflage covers?

Article about: So I'm flipping though the channels and we were soldiers is on and I've always wondered this: did ranks of officers get stitched on the actual cover or did they use a pin? Mel Gibson plays a

Default Vietnam camouflage covers?

So I'm flipping though the channels and we were soldiers is on and I've always wondered this: did ranks of officers get stitched on the actual cover or did they use a pin? Mel Gibson plays a major and he used a pin in the film and I've seen actual helmets with rank pins on them, but I have a Mitchell cover with a captains rank but its sewn on. So which did they do? Pin? Stitch? Both?

- - Updated - -

Also, I've seen other captains helmets that have the same rank sewing

?

Default Re: Vietnam camouflage covers?

You are asking for short cuts and answers to questions that have taken a serious investments of time and energy of individuals in the collecting community. Do your best research and we can compare notes, but there is no shortcuts in my book, without research and an informed opinion at any rate.
    Regards,
    John

Hi,my best thoughts on that one is that when an officer was first posted,the rank would be a cloth one factory applied to the cover,however once any in field promotion took place his up-grade could be applied by whatever means at hand. Leon.

?

Mel Gibson's rank in this film is Lt colonel as the oak leafs are silver, bronze oak leafs are the rank of major.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam camouflage covers?  

Both cloth and metal were used I imagine what ever type the officer wanted to put on his cover.

it would have been the officers choice i know in vietnam all officers did not wear insignias as viet cong and nva soldiers where paid more to kill officers and medics !!! identifying your self by wear many emblems was a very bad idea some i know wore no insignia at all on their helmet !

Have I missed the point of the question? It,s not about Mr Gibson's attire is it? Leon.