Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?

Article about: I picked this helmet up today for the cool factor. The helmet has a light sand finish and so does the liner. The heat stamp is hard to make out but it is a ww2 issue helmet. The liner is sta

I know even dealers can make mistakes after all there human,but Josh Murray wouldn't sell something as "an original item" if it wasn't there reputation is everything.i quite fancied this Helmet some time back but financially i had to take a rain check.

hi Marty
    i have been home with a bad flu the last few days .so have had a little bit of time on the computer.
    i have been looking at as many images of south Vietnamese solders and ARVN solders. and US brown water navy and early war images to see if i could find a match or similar, but have had no luck. but a can say there is that many m1 camo helmet patterns used bye the south Vietnamese army that i think your helmet has a good chance. and it will only be time that something will show up.

on the other note the m1 helmet you posted in 2015 that also had a questionable camo pattern. i did find a very similar helmet camo pattern being worn bye the south Vietnamese army. so i hope you haven't stripped the paint off that one.
    from what i remember you were not shore what to do with it

my head hearts sniff sniff

I hope you get to feeling better. I picked up two different helmets in 2015. I sold the navy/lighter colored one and still have the other one( still trying to figure that one out) The guys on an other forum are sure that the helmet is a OPFOR helmet, maybe their right but again without photographic proof it still can be up for debate. I will continue to look for evidence to true Origin of the helmet but in the mean time I will enjoy it on the shelf.
    Marty
    Attached Images Attached Images Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?  Vietnam era camo m1 helmet? 
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

i think this close.
    this has got me interested. i never know the there was so many different variants of camo m1 helmet used.
    also i learnt that south Korea had troops over there as well. i never know that.
    there marines, what looked like to me had a similar but different helmet camo cover pattern as well.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era camo m1 helmet?  

If I remember correctly Phil thought the black camo helmet I have because of the marine chevrons on the front could possibly be a US Marine advisory helmet. The wear is right and I never rule out a kids helmet but in the case of the black one I do not think a kid did the paint.
    I have been pouring over videos and pictures, not to mention Ken Burns 10 part series of Vietnam, I am only up to part 6.
    There are helmets out there US and TR that people said did not exist and but pictures were found to refute that claim. The search continues.
    Thank you for the picture, I believe it is close but a you said there were so many patterns.

Marty

The only problem with the ARVN theory or ARVN ranger helmet is firstly the colours are not tropical, but desert and secondly the ARVN helmets were painted by brush, not stenciled and spray painted. I think that's a dead end. Also isn't the liner showing the name "Garvin" or something similar?

The liner was added(not by me) not original to the helmet. I do agree about the color not being tropical but BRIGHT colored helmets painted by the ARVN are not typical camo patterns either. I would have to disagree that ARVN helmets were brush painted some were, but some were all so sprayed. I am not saying the helmet is ARVN but the search for answers is an adventure.
    Marty

Quote by geelong View Post
    i think this close.
    this has got me interested. i never know the there was so many different variants of camo m1 helmet used.
    also i learnt that south Korea had troops over there as well. i never know that.
    there marines, what looked like to me had a similar but different helmet camo cover pattern as well.
    Great job researching this geelong. Those look to be painted, not camo covers other than the guy standing. Very similar to above posted helmet of Marty's.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5