Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vietnam era M-1 C

Article about: Another Vietnam era US M-1 C that I recently added to my collection there is a lot going on with this example such as it would appear to be a depot retro-fitted and re-baled McCord FS FB tha

?

Default Vietnam era M-1 C

Another Vietnam era US M-1 C that I recently added to my collection there is a lot going on with this example such as it would appear to be a depot retro-fitted and re-baled McCord FS FB that shows good strong dimple marks in between the bails on the rim if I am reading the heat stamp correctly it is (215 B )
    This particular helm has a nice used look about it and shows the expected patina stain and wear to the interior furniture and the helmet body one would expect to see on a period used lid as best I can tell the sweat band is dated to 1972 it is impossible to make out the date on the suspension on the liner I am afraid it is far to gone .
    I believe the contract number on the Mitchell puts the production in 1969 if I understand the DSA correctly thanks for looking all comments are most welcome.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam era M-1 C   Vietnam era M-1 C  

Vietnam era M-1 C   Vietnam era M-1 C  

Nice looking M1C Mark!!! the cover looks unissued condition too!! well done!!

?

Thanks as to the cover there are a couple of small repaired rips and the images make it look much brighter than it is in hand.

Regards Mark

Very nice example of a helmet that is getting harder to find in this very desirable condition. Well done. Jim G.

The liner is a transitional liner and dates to 1964-65 as these were the last version of the para M1 liner to be made from the duck cloth before the nylon liners went into production. They were contracted out by the government to Pat-Ric, Westinghouse and Marmac Industries. Hope this sheds some light on the date for your liner

Hi mark just took a closer look at your liner again from my iPad and realised it is the nylon version. I mistook those tape marks (is it tape?) as being that 2 toned look you get from the duck cloth liners that you see on earlier versions of that liner. That teaches me a lesson never to look at pics from a tiny mobile phone screen. Your M1C liner is probably a late 60s to early 70s. My apologies to you for mis identifying your helmet

?

Many thanks Jim it is my second Vietnam era M-1 C my other example is sporting a 1967 dated Para liner this one I find rather interesting because of the reworked and reissued WW II McCord helmet body .
    Hi Ian IMO you are correct the liner is the spitting image of my 67 dated Para liner in my other Vietnam era M-1 C so very likely it is with in the time period you mentioned.

Regards Mark

Another great Lid Mark,think I mentioned on another thread,why nearly all M1C's encountered seem to carry a "M1 Combat Liner" or simply "the nylon type" and nearly all are dated 67/68/70,surely as Red said where are the "Duck cotton types"?enough contracts were issued to Marmac/Westinghouse between 65-69,so it really is a mystery,oh well maybe one day an answer will be found,lets hope so anyway's still a great set to own............

?

Thanks Jake the one thing that I noticed right away is how much nicer the liner sits in side of this WW II reworked helmet body in comparison to the later post war produced M-1's

Regards Mark

Correct Mark obviously due to the shallow dome versions from 1965 onwards,no edging sticking up,thats why wear along the edges are so often on these Nylon types due to that exact reason,remember the 50's McCord shells are also ww2 dimensions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast