Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam era m1 helmet verification

Article about: Hey fellas! Just got this helmet from a militaria show today for a great deal! I just had a few questions about this item. I was told it's a Vietnam era piece but I was wondering if anyone c

Default Vietnam era m1 helmet verification

Hey fellas!
    Just got this helmet from a militaria show today for a great deal!
    I just had a few questions about this item. I was told it's a Vietnam era piece but I was wondering if anyone can help me with some details on the individual pieces. Can anyone help me date the items?
    The shell appears to be Vietnam era because the surface is finer than a rough ww2 shell. There doesn't seem to be any markings stamped on the shell.
    The liner has some codes on there that I can't decipher.
    the sweatband also has some codes.
    The strap has codes too.
    And the cover has markings as well.
    Can anyone read these codes/markings and tell when each item was made?
    I know a lot about German ww2 helmets but have no clue when it comes Vietnam m1 helmets. Can anyone help?
    I know I should buy an item and not some story but I was told the helmet was purchased from some vet's wife who sold it to the dealer I bought it from. The shell, cover, and liner were the original items that came together, but the back strap and sweatband I bought separately from another dealer at the show.
    Thanks in advance fellas!

Default Re: Vietnam era m1 helmet verification

We probably passed one another at the show!

Were u at the Pomona show? Lol! This one was better than the last December show huh?

Yea, me and the kid were standing tapping or foot waiting for the doors to open this morning......

One last question I wanted to ask was how should I clean the liner? It had rat droppings in there and there seems to be dry mud residue on one side. Do you guys think anti bacterial wipes and a wet paper towel would be OK without ruining anything? Thanks and sorry for bombarding you experts with so many questions.

?

The cam cover is 1965, the sweatband is 1977. The steel pot looks good for Vietnam era. I'm not sure on the others, I cant see the codes well enough.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Nevermind the help fellas! I took a closer look at the liner numbers and figured out may of 65! I also figured out the dates for the other items! So the only matching parts of my helmet are the liner, cover, and helmet. The rest are all late war examples. Well, I guess I figured it out on my own lol! I guess I was being lazy
    Well, thanks anyways fellas and enjoy the pictures!

Hey thanks for the help aj4010!
    The liner reads may of 1965. I took a closer look and I barely made out the "may" and "65"

?

1965 is a nice date for Vietnam stuff. Anything dated 1972 and up is highly unlikely to be Vietnam used.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]