MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam graffiti helmet

Article about: I received this helmet last week and can return it , so if it passes muster great if not no great lose. The helmet is a Vietnam era possibly put together helmet and liner with Mitchell repai

Default Vietnam graffiti helmet

I received this helmet last week and can return it , so if it passes muster great if not no great lose.
    The helmet is a Vietnam era possibly put together helmet and liner with Mitchell repairs cover. The helmet is a post ww2 McCord 1950’s helmet with green clip chinstrap and Vietnam era paratrooper liner.
    I have my thoughts on the graffiti as to Chaplain or Christian Soldier applied or total fabrication to add to the help. I’m not saying the seller did it, he said he bought it years ago as is. What you thought on the writing?
    I posted the helmet on another forum but only received one opinion on the writing.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam graffiti helmet   Vietnam graffiti helmet  

Vietnam graffiti helmet   Vietnam graffiti helmet  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

There should be a manufacturer's stamp on one of the tongues. Can you post a picture of it?

The problem with such coatings is that the font may have been printed 50 years ago or just a month ago.

The considerable improvements to the coating speak more for use after the Vietnam period.

The cover is a 65 and the sweatband is a mid 60’s

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam graffiti helmet  

MAP
    ?

I'll leave the analysis of the helmet to the pros, but as for the cover? I guess its one you will just have to "believe" in Marty

Without provenance, who know when or where this writing was done.

Does seem to be a bit odd for a chaplain. But given that these were the counter culture days, maybe he was trying to fit in by trying to be hip.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Marty, I am no expert as you know. The wring does not appear to have any wear on it but still could be correct. I think your gut feeling will lead you in the right direction as you have it in hand. Your nose knows! Much better than pics.
    John

?

Seems off to me, the ink doesn't look very old to me. With all the repairs it's funny that none of them are remotely close to the ink. I'd pass on this one

Thank you guys for taking the time to give me your opinion. I’m sending the helmet back, the writing under a loupe shows no signs of wear.

Thanks again,
    Marty