Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

Article about: that's what these forums are all about mate we are here to discuss these things in as much detail as possible so that we gain better knowledge of the items we collect

Default Re: Vietnam Graffitti - Ace of Spades

the last ground troops as far as i've always been aware left vietnam on 12 august 1972 so everything for sale on ebay dated nam 74 is totally misleading and is in fact postwar items,dave.

?

Thought it was somewhere near there. I think a lot of this is to do with the film of the helecopter evacuation of the US Embassy, which I think was about 1975. People equate that footage with the withdrawl of combat troops, when in fact combat troops were long gone by then.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Factually correct Dave. When I left Vietnam in 1968, we were only allowed one set of our jungle fatigues, no helmet and one pair of boots. They made us put all our other gear in a pile, stripped the insignia and where it all went from there I have no clue as it was way too large for most Vietnamese. They were simply smaller framed and we were not fat by any means, just taller and bigger. The REMF's (rear eschelon M.....F.....'s) took all our battlefield souveniers (that they could find) and never once went outside the wire themselves. I really hated that part. Lowlife's in every war.

Mark

it must have been one hell of an experience in your young life mark,its ironic that you guys fought for like 14 years in total and trained and left the south vietamese fully trained and well equipped and yet 3 years later in 1975 saigon was overun by the NVA and thats what confuses people with regards to the air lifts etc,seeing the presence of US troops,nice to have a vet on this forum all the best mark.

?

OP, nice lid.

Mark, nice hoard. Were you at any point tempted to write the nickname for the PRC radio?

You KNOW I was. It's too respectful here to do it though!

Mark

?

Heheeh yes, I know.
    And yes about the respectful tone here too.

?

Quote by thefight View Post
    Recently bought this helmet, it has a 74 dated cover and has a rank pin on the rear of the helmet. It has a large Ace of Spades drawn in on both sides rather heavily. It is also named on the long part of the chinstrap. Opinions/comments welcome!
    what ever its story mate its a very nice well used M-1 very nice indeed

?

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    I will focus a little better but I wanted to respond as soon as I could. This is a PRC25 radio used in the Viet Nam era, a VC flag from a captured bunker hole and the Viet Nam death cards. The NVA insignia came from the losers on that day.

Mark
    Attachment 337537Attachment 337538Attachment 337539
    im guessing the helmet is not the one you personally used during the conflict & also are your death cards real or repro only asking as i have some of these sold as repro on ebay that look exactly like yours ?

?

Quote by NickD View Post
    what ever its story mate its a very nice well used M-1 very nice indeed
    Absolutely, a very nice lid. I did not mean to try to detract from it by mentioning the dates.
    Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast