Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vietnam helmet

Article about: What are your opinions about the helmet? Combat used? Here are the informations about the soldier: He started his career in the Navy seeing some service time at the end of the war. He earned

Default Vietnam helmet

What are your opinions about the helmet? Combat used?

Here are the informations about the soldier:

He started his career in the Navy seeing some service time at the end of the war. He earned the WW2 Victory medal, the Occupation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal and the American Campaign medal.

He then enlisted in the Marine Corps in the 50’s. Most of that time was spent on active duty training the Reserves. He picked up his National Defense medal then.

He then spent time in VN as an artillery man and earned a star for the National Defense medal, a VN Service medal with 2 bronze stars, Humanitarian Service medal, Navy Achievement medal, Republic of VN Meritorious unit citation, Gallantry Cross medal, and a Republic of VN Campaign medal.

He was discharged around mid-70s as a Master Sergeant with a Good conduct medal with a silver star.
    The helmet has his serial number on it, as well as his name on the cover and the leather sweat band.

Thanks for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam helmet   Vietnam helmet  

Vietnam helmet   Vietnam helmet  

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam helmet   Vietnam helmet  

Any thoughts?

?

That looks like WWII rig likely reused in Korea.
    Regards,
    John

?

Looks fine to me an interesting one from what I can tell the cover looks like it was from the 50s more than likely he kept this cover into the 60s and worn it into Vietnam. A good friend of my father who served in Vietnam in the marines to me and my father he could remember being issued ww2 marine corp covers even in the late 60s. I like this helmet not something you seen done everyday

Quote by gel65 View Post
    Looks fine to me an interesting one from what I can tell the cover looks like it was from the 50s more than likely he kept this cover into the 60s and worn it into Vietnam. A good friend of my father who served in Vietnam in the marines to me and my father he could remember being issued ww2 marine corp covers even in the late 60s. I like this helmet not something you seen done everyday
    Thanks for your great help! Liner is also from the 50s?

All late war Helmet......shell + liner still have original wartime olivedrab paint and not repainted for KW so unless cover has BLUE ANCHOR MFG stamped on one of the flaps then that too fits with the time frame and only the EGA was added postwar,really nice lid do you own it?..............so this could be an original PTO Marine Helmet...............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    All late war Helmet......shell + liner still have original wartime olivedrab paint and not repainted for KW so unless cover has BLUE ANCHOR MFG stamped on one of the flaps then that too fits with the time frame and only the EGA was added postwar,really nice lid do you own it?..............so this could be an original PTO Marine Helmet...............

The soldier entered the army in 1954 and was in VN from 1966-1967, so it can be true?
    No, but I buy the helmet :-)

What is a PTO marine helmet?

And it was said that this helmet saw the war in vietnam

this is a great piece. i personally love it and would definetely buy it if i had the chance. you have an all original ww2 liner, a nice mid-late war pot with swivel bales and what looks like the early raised bucklle straps. The cover looks like a ww2 cover because the stitching is all correct and it is a 3rd pattern with the slits in the flaps. the cover has the ega that was added post war meaning it was used in korea and then some where used in vietnam. on top of all of that you where able to find info on the vet. it is heavely used but i like the used look. great piece!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast