Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Vietnam M1 (ebay) comments please

Article about: by wootars Here is the latest photos received for the M1 that the seller wants \\$65 for. Sweatband and suspension marked to 1967. Its a westinghouse liner marked D 28 which I beleive could be

Default Re: Vietnam M1 (ebay) comments please

Quote by wootars View Post
    Here is the latest photos received for the M1 that the seller wants $65 for. Sweatband and suspension marked to 1967. Its a westinghouse liner marked D 28 which I beleive could be a re-furbished westinghouse WW11 or Korean war liner from what I have read in other posts...is that right?

Also notice the -8 stamped in white in the liner, ive seen this on a number of liners in other posts but unsure as to what it signifies?

Attachment 467477Attachment 467478Attachment 467479Attachment 467480Attachment 467481Attachment 467482Attachment 467483Attachment 467485Attachment 467486.
    Hi,thats the better helmet,no doubt.You can see the DSA number on this one,so you can be sure that you have a NAM era lid! Snap this one up if you can get it. Leon.

Thanks Leon, Im sending him confirmation on shipping costs now. It will be my second M1 helmet for my collection - the first being a WW11 that we also discussed on the forum.

cheers Errol

i would be happy with this one well done good find. now its the waiting game. ..................good price too

Thanks geelong, I dont mind waiting as long as it gets here......(cant wait really!)

now the straps that go around the helmet i think they were in short supply at the time of the war. i think that is why you see these helmets with rubber straps and differnt types of bands. but the ones with the reflective cats eyes on the back are not veitnam era i think. if anyone can correct me on this fell free. just saying this if you where thinking of finding a band for cover. still looks good as is, but.

The Camouflage Helmet Band are quite sort after now,commanding decent prices,although not rare they seem to be increasingly missing from period lids,maybe the've been purposely removed for individual sale?they were standardized in 1942 and continued all the way through to 1981....this type NEVER had the "Cats Eyes"these are found on the change over M1'S to the PASGT in the mid-late 1980's....there are ebay sellers that own some original period DSA rolls of NEOPRENE which they cut to the correct length and box tack as per originals they are the same when fitted to a lid,only a suggestion as a cheaper alternative buy,and they are usually "BUY IT NOW"......congrats anyway on the lid they go for a lot more than that here in the UK.....Jake.

Ah Hah, thats exactly what I was thinking of doing geelong! From what I have read (again in the forum) I beleive the cats eye bands were definately post vietnam war / 80's period. I also read the same information about the short supply, hence the use of rubber bands. And there's information that suggests the rubber band was an idea that the USMC came up with.

I'll definately be looking for a original band (without the cats eyes) I just think they look great with it.

Have a look at the photo's of the first M1 I was looking at (the one Andy so kindly posted the pics for me) after some more questions emailed to the seller he informed me that the band around the helmet had cats eyes but that he had just turned the band inside out!!

It pays to ask questions!

Thats why I like this forum and all the members / participants.

Errol

The cat eyes were added post Vietnam, I bought a new made one and took the cat eyes off. I've read stories about guys putting pirces of rotting wood in there helmet bands, as they glow in the dark, so they could follow the guy in front of them during night movements. Marines were using strips of rubber as far back as ww2, you see pics from Iwo Jima with a few Marines using these. That'sa nice helmet, and a much better price than the first one.

Thanks Jake, yes Ive seen the original period DSA rolls of NEOPRENE for sale and seems like a good option ( and possibly my only one). I didn't realise they were standardized in 1942 though. Thanks again for your insight.

Thanks Paul, yes Ive noticed alot of both the band types in pics from Vietnam. Im glad I didn't bother with the first one. It only took everyones comments to reasure myself that it was just too much for what its worth.

Errol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3