Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam War USN M1 helmet shipboard grey

Article about: my latest flea market find a very salty USN shipboard used helmet with Vietnam War era chin straps and a WWII CAPAC liner, also on display is a WWII era emergency light lamp used on both shi

Default Vietnam War USN M1 helmet shipboard grey

Vietnam war era USN used shipboard grey M1 helmet with WWII era liner mfg by CAPAC, the Riverine Forces sailor in photo mans his machinegun while on patrol in Vietnam, also on display WWII USN Battle Lantern as used aboard ships & submarines, and US M1911A1 .45 automatic pistol with a phosphate parkerized finish & brown bakelite grips.

A Navy sailor mans a .30 caliber machine gun on a utility boat cruising in the Rung Sat Special Zone, Republic of Vietnam, during Operation "Jackstay", 26 April 1966.

Vietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard grey
    Last edited by battle gear; 08-28-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Very nice Viet-Nam Navy M1 Helmet...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Nice M-1 BG the US Navy played a large role well serving in Vietnam the Riverine forces were often referred to as the brown water Navy they used small shallow draft gunboats and patrol boats on many of the rivers and inland water ways.

Regards Mark

?

Beautiful example, in all the years of collecting M1 Helmets,I have yet to see a decent USN used piece,thanks for sharing BG

Default Brown Water Navy in Vietnam

here's a small display dedicated to the Riverine Forces or Brown water Navy in the Vietnam War

The United States Navy found itself embroiled in a war that was fought at first, off the coastal waters of South Vietnam, and then in the river deltas, smaller waterways and canals of the country. To combat North Vietnamese infiltration of men and supplies by sea, three Task Forces were formed: TF-115 called Operation MARKET TIME; TF-116 called Operation GAME WARDEN; and TF-117 called the MOBILE RIVERINE FORCE (a joint amphibious Army-Navy riverine operation).

Vietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard greyVietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard grey

Vietnam War USN M1 helmet  shipboard grey

?

Nice grouping BG I have had the opportunity to go out on a converted PBR river patrol boat much like the one you have shown above it is owned by a gent on Vancouver Island and we took it threw the channels they are very maneuverable and draw very little water it was quite the white knuckle of a ride They were manufactured in Bellingham Washington fiber glass double walled foam filled construction and were deemed near unsinkable.

Regards Mark

that sounds like a lot of fun, I would like to own a PBR boat, I would try to make it look as close to an original Vietnam War era PBR but without the gun mounts, same navy grey color & markings, I guess dummy gun mounts would be legal? I remember seeing some privately owned VN era PBR boats in California several years ago, but they looked stripped for civillian use.

?

Grey helmet , salt water coastal swift boat.

?

Grey helmet , salt water coastal swift boat.
    Delta, brown water navy.
    Up north of delta, clear water navy.