Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do with this shell.

Article about: Hello guys, I just want your opinions on what to do with this shell. My Mom bought it as a Vietnam era helmet, and told me about it saying it had stuff painted on it. I had to have a look, a

Default What to do with this shell.

Hello guys,

I just want your opinions on what to do with this shell. My Mom bought it as a Vietnam era helmet, and told me about it saying it had stuff painted on it. I had to have a look, and this is what I saw. Its a WW2 front seam swivel bail helmet. The paint IMO is original ww2 era. The downfall comes that the white paint is surely recently done. There are scratches underneath the white, not to mention the emblems are huge, and don't match any format I have ever seen.

Sadly it is missing the chin straps, which would have been nice to have intact. So on to the question, what would you do with it? Leave it as is, remove the white, find some chinstraps to add, add a liner, or redo it all (I know you wont go for this!)?

On to you guys....

What to do with this shell. What to do with this shell.

?

None of your attachments are coming up.

-----Edit-----

Nevermind.

Yea, my computer wen't a little slow loading I guess! Thanks for what would have been a heads up!

?

Hey Nathan, The paint like you say does look to be original so I would think if you want to try and keep the originality maybe try removing the white paint but id say straight away that would be no easy task without the possibility of damaging whats underneath. Me personally I would look at the helmet as a restoration project but thats just me. A tough one but do what makes you happy with it! Nice shell btw and am I right assuming you wont have paid too much for it either if it was originally purchased as a Nam era shell? Cheers! Sean.

Perhaps this is one to throw a camo cover or net over.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

I would dig a bit further regarding the paint before you remove it. NH

That isn't a bad idea Walkwolf. That way I don't chance screwing it up, whatever "it" is. Neil, are you saying you think it has a chance? It just didn't seem to fit the bill to me, but my ears are always open. Thanks to all.

I would have to agree with you, the markings are likely a more recent add-on (although it's always good to double check that).

A cover like Walkwolf mentioned would make it look nice, and you wouldn't have to attempt a paint-removal if you were at all hesitant about doing that (unfortunately covers aren't always cheap these days).

I don't know much of anything in regards to paint stripping, so I can't give you any info there.

Nice catch though in noticing the front-seam, it's always a pleasant surprise when something like this pops up

?

Dip a Q-tip in some acetone and rub a small section of the white paint, if it comes right off, there is no doubt it is a recent addition. Acetone evaporates so quickly it will remove new paint without damaging the original, as long as you don't saturate it, work slowly and in a small area at a time.

Jim

I would also add that if you do decide to try and remove the white paint, I would recommend trying it out on a small, less easily visible area, such as on the white paint inside of the shell, just to make sure it works as intended before applying it to the entire outside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast