Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What’s on with the paint on this M1 helmet?

Article about: Okay but since I live in Denmark and found it here the theory of it being a Danish reuse is probably more likely that it being an Argentinean

?

Default Re: What’s on with the paint on this M1 helmet?

Okay but since I live in Denmark and found it here the theory of it being a Danish reuse is probably more likely that it being an Argentinean

Quote by ackb View Post
    Okay but since I live in Denmark and found it here the theory of it being a Danish reuse is probably more likely that it being an Argentinean
    Agreed, my observation is only in regards to the shell chin strap itself as it appears to not be US but on a US shell. I do not belive the Danish had their own replacement chin strap, but I could be mistaken. The chin strap configuration on your shill is typical of what was produced by Argentina but I do agree, this would be a bit of a long shot considering the helmet was discovered in Denmark.

?

Who knows, maybe it isn’t Danish. But until someone says that it for sure is from xxx I believe it must be a Danish reuse. At first when I looked at it on the flea market I thought it was a Danish m1 reproduction but when I saw the inside of the liner and the stamped number in the shell I was pretty convinced that it was some kind of US helmet that might had been repainted.

For now my best guess must be that it is a middle war US helmet reused by the Danish which repainted the shell and the outside of the liner and put some other chinstraps on the shell. Anyone with a better theory?

?

I've just had a look at my Argentinian lid, chinstraps are definitely not American, but they are unlike yours too. I think most if not all Argentinian lids used the T1 metal clip to attach to the bails? Danish refurb pot straps were usually riveted at the top, near the bails.
    Maybe this is a put together piece for reenactments.
    The liner chinstrap looks ok though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

This is only my opinion
    The liner chin strap is a ww2 original .
    The reason I say this is i have two the same unmarked with green hardware , one came on a complete westinghouse and the other a firestone.
    I note the way the leather is cut at the ends (curved shaped not straight across) As far as I am lead to believe this is a sign of USA made . Also notice the holes on the underside of the rivets are two different sizes , mines are the same.
    My last complete liner cost me £70 with its original paint if that’s any help. I thought that was a bargain because of the price of chinstraps.
    You have a nice find form flea market I seem to find nothing at these type of things well done!
    Rod

?

My last complete liner cost me £70 with its original paint

I managed to snap up a Westie original with a green buckle strap for £40 odd recently. It was a buy it now, and I think it was there for less than five munutes!

Ebay is much maligned, and rightly so in most cases, but you do get the odd bargain. It would be nice to see a thead about the absolute steals we sometimes get.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

That was a bargain Andy! Its not that often you see complete ones.
    All the best
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2