Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?

Article about: By new, I think Russ means that the net could have been unissued and never saw the light of day outside of a supply crate until very recently. Chances are your helmet started life as an orig

Default What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?

I have got an m1 steel helmet. I think it is lat ww2. It's rearseam with swivil bales. The problem is im not exactly sure if it is from ww2. I know they started making rearseam in November of 1944, so does anyone know how many rear seam werevproduced furring ww2 and what the chances are of me owning one ?.
    Here are some pics, based on them what war does it look like it was made in ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?   What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?  

Last edited by Adrian; 08-28-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Photos uploaded.

?

Default Re: What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?

Hi Dominick,

I've uploaded the photos for you, it's always best to load them to the forum and not use photo hosting sites. In time, photos get deleted and when that happenes we will have a useless thread if we can't see the subject matter.

I suggest you'll need much better photos for the guys here to help you. You'll need pics of the inside and the liner, the bales, straps etc.

I'll move it to the correct forum too.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

It's looking like it's WWII so far, but you need much better photos. Welcome to the forum!

welcome buddy,late war rear seam.nov44-august45,about 10% were made.still very common,and usually better condition than earlier front seamed ones due to seeing less action,regards minnie.

To 2nd what has already been pointed out, from the grainy photos and your description, this helmet does appear to be a very late WWII example however, to speculate that it was war used would be just that, pure speculation. Would be geat to see some better photos, expecially of the chin strap and liner interior. Again, from the grainy photos the chin strap apears to be in very good condition as does the liner chin strap.....a sign that the helmet was not heavily used but it really is hard to tell much with out better photos.

Regards,

Russ

I'm sorry for replying so late, And thanks Adrian for your help, I appreciate it. I took some more photos in better quality. I took one of the chin strap, the liner, & the helmet with the net on (it's an original net), by the way when I put the net on the helmet liner won't go in all the way, does anyone have any advice ?. Anyway the paint does have cork in it, the chinstraps are sewed to the bale, and it is painted the correct color for ww2, so I'm hoping it is ww2 !!

Here are the photos

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/48f56188.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/8d6bce40.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/40276cc3.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/fa6c02e8.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...7/273ee128.jpg

Hope these pics help

any pics of the liner?regards minnie.

?

from what i can tell the shell chin strap is a repro with the netting on i cant really be sure if the paint is original ??

and the paints postwar,too much glare for me,or am i just picky,regards minnie.

?

just in case the links go down

- - Updated - -

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    and the paints postwar,too much glare for me,or am i just picky,regards minnie.

i dose look a dark OD green & a bit on the shiny side maybe post war repaint ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?   What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?  

What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?   What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?  

What war/year does my m1 helmet from ?  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast