Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter Camo M1 Helmet

Article about: It could be Korean war snow camo, but that looking on the bright side. Some one could have did post war paint job and aged it. I cant recall ever seeing a picture of the battle of the bulge

Default Re: Winter Camo M1 Helmet

It could be Korean war snow camo, but that looking on the bright side. Some one could have did post war paint job and aged it.
    I cant recall ever seeing a picture of the battle of the bulge with white camo painted on us helmets. It hard to tell if it cork textrue.

I think it a aged white painted M1.

?

Looking at it logically, if it was painted white for Winter. Why wasn't it repainted when the Summer came or when the soldier left Korea or wherever? Doesn't make sense.

Good point, Noelh, but quite a few guys were wounded or invalided out during the winter. Kit was turned in in whatever condition it was last used.

Pat

Quote by noelh View Post
    Looking at it logically, if it was painted white for Winter. Why wasn't it repainted when the Summer came or when the soldier left Korea or wherever? Doesn't make sense.
    I'm sure many of the winter camo shells were re-painted a shade of green but not all. Winter camo's do exist, it's just tough trying to weed out what is and what isn't!

Quote by noelh View Post
    It wouldn't have to be repainted - just throw a camouflage cover on.........
    Regards,

Steve.

From what I've been told, in WWII and Korea limewash was used on helmets for winter camo. It showed up a nice n bright white but also was easily removed when it was no longer required.

I have a helmet shell that has some kind of wash on it. Some fella's on USMC swore up and down that it was a navy lid until I wet my finger and smeared it on the paint...the green underneath showed through. No one really confirmed that it is winter camo though...It is tough to get a straight answer out of the helmet guru's on that forum.

Some pics...they look a bit deceiving so I can understand why they thought it was a navy lid. Bright flash you know. The last two pics show when I wet my finger and smeared it on the paint...had to do it to convince the helmet gods at USMF that it was not grey paint.

It is a front seam fixed bail. Heatstamp of 20C. One chinstrap is gone and the other looks like it was field applied...it is an old strap though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter Camo M1 Helmet   Winter Camo M1 Helmet  

Winter Camo M1 Helmet   Winter Camo M1 Helmet  

Winter Camo M1 Helmet   Winter Camo M1 Helmet  

Winter Camo M1 Helmet  

Just a thought, UN service?

Korea was a UN operation.....the last good one.

P.

could even be a military policeman's helmet from South America, like Brazil , Peru

I once found a stack of white US helmet liners marked PM from a South American police dept, and they were rewebbed and had unusual chin straps added

hi guys just to add to what walkwolf has already said,the US army only spent one winter fighting during the ETO campaign,so image trying to paint in temps of -20 degrees i dont think so, too much like hard work,it has always been common knowledge that they simply used cut down white material it was the easiest method and could be remove very easily,i have posted a rare colour pic taken during the BULGE offensive,note third from left and second from right both wearing white cloth material covers over there helmets,cheers dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter Camo M1 Helmet  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast