Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 helmet?

Article about: the liner is WW2 not Korean war.

Default WW2 helmet?

I just got this helmet for 55 dollars and it came with a great shape ww2 liner, I originally wanted a vietnam lid, but i got this helmet because thats what I thought this was. I inspected it when I got home and the cork was the same as my ww2 helmet but I saw no front seam. The number in the front was 976. I judged it by the chinstrap and I think it is ww2. so.... now I am confused.

liner | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

insides | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

liner | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

shell chinstrap | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

shell cork | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

soldiers grafitti | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photos of the cork, shinstrap, graffiti, liner...

tell me how I did.

Thanks,
    Michael

?

Default Re: WW2 helmet?

Many U.S. Helmets had an extended service life. From what I can see, yours looks to be a late WWII produced shell probably still in service or reissued during the Korean War era or possibly even Vietnam era.

Hope that helps somewhat.

thanks it does,
    I was wondering if I should take off that chinstrap and put on a ww2 one?
    plus buy a leather liner chinstrap?

?

Hello Micheal, its difficult to tell with those photographs. The liner looks to be WW2, but the sweatband is much later, maybe late 60's to 70's but there should be a number on the cloth part of it, either DLA 00 -- or something similar. The two numbers after the 00 will be the year of manufacture, or it could be a repro.
    Can't decide on the pot with the photos, but the chinstraps look to be the last type used, up until the mid 80's
    Better pics needed really.

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit: Pot chinstraps are probably 60's/70's too, not the later type, my mistake.

A
    Last edited by aj4010; 05-29-2012 at 01:33 AM.

?

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    thanks it does,
    I was wondering if I should take off that chinstrap and put on a ww2 one?
    plus buy a leather liner chinstrap?
    WW2 chinstraps were sewn onto the bails in a particular way, (bartacked) the stitching is instantly recognizable and difficult to replicate. Original liner chinstraps can be very expensive, if you wanted an absolutely original (green buckle) WW2 one.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

thanks I am interested in reenacting, so will probably get a repro chinstrap and use it for that.
    so 976 really matches up to late ww2 production?

?

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    thanks I am interested in reenacting, so will probably get a repro chinstrap and use it for that.
    so 976 really matches up to late ww2 production?
    If there is no S above the number, 976 could be around the later part of 1944. Check again for the seam, they can be difficult to spot. Look for spotweld marks on either side of where it should be.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

What are spotweld marks? I think I found the seam but it is very, very hard to see like you said.

Thanks,
    Michael

?

the heat stamp puts the manufacture date around August 1944 the chin strap dates from the the 1950's onwards as for the liner sweatband it looks an odd colour to me possibly not a US version try & get a better pic of it.

so in short you have a late war shell reissued post war i personally would not change a thing the only thing i would consider changing would be the liner sweatband if it turns out not to be a US made version.

looks like a korean reissue green north&judd chinstraps used 1951-1961,liner korean front eye let od7 hbt cotton,both liner and chinstraps match time period etc,so must likely korean helmet,nice lid just get a 50's period sweatband and leather chinstrap to complete and will display well,dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast