Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.

Article about: WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION served European theater, with unique history. This unit during ww2 helped track down the Germans in US MP Uniforms who were causing

?

Default WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.

WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION served European theater, with unique history. This unit during ww2 helped track down the Germans in US MP Uniforms who were causing havoc during Battle of Bulge by changing signs around and disrupting traffic. This unit was disbanded in Vienna Austria in 1946 and was a paper only unit removed as a paper unit in 1953. I also have my other lids nearby... one being an early war and the other being a later war type. The MP heat stamp is 866E(f?) or so... maybe a 1944 made helm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.   WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.  

WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.   WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.  

WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.   WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.  

?

Unit history read...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.   WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.  

WW2 M-1 Combat helmet for 796th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION super rare unit marked.  

?

Additional pics

Very nice collection of lids you have thanks for sharing.

very nice. Interessting the different shades of colour. Do not you think that the helmet on the far right with the "MP" (from the viewer) was painted over in the 50's?

?

Hello FBeaty,
    May I ask where and how you acquired the ‘MP’ helmet?

Cheers,
    Bob

?

No, I do not. I had a Korean war helmet and is definitely not the same. This unit history is pure WW2 and never served in Korea... see the paper work provided above on unit history. Unit was in Vienna until 1946-1953 only as a paper unit... deactivated shortly after WW2.
    Last edited by fbeaty; 05-22-2019 at 02:04 AM.

?

I have received this from a fellow collector, stateside. He got it in part of a recent find...

?

I’m sure the unit history is pure WW2...
    With respect, I cannot be so sure about the helmet.

All the best,
    Bob

?

I am confident, it is a good solid original MP unit marked helmet. The MP white paint is consistent with other WW2 types and has good patina. Has the helmet itself been repainted...? yes it clearly shows a secondary paint, and this is commonly done in war theaters and could have been done in field/depot. The unit was heavy active/used in the field protecting the red ball express and addressing the the battle of the Bulge (winter operations, with heavy use would require a repaint) security issues during the advance. They painted these with whatever color and whatever they had on hand at the time, it may be a darker OD or a lighter OD or some other type of vehicle paint. I disagree with the assessment, but appreciate the thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast